61 Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 2:46 PM

I hate this thread. It made me buy an STC1000 AND a fridge \n\nAh well, the whole lot only cost me EUR45 in total.\n\nSwmbo was not impressed by my fridge purchase until I pointed out that it is better than our existing kitchen fridge. So i'll be taking that one for brewing and putting the new one in the kitchen.\n\nUpgraded both rooms in one move.\nI think I deserve a beer!

62 Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 2:50 PM

Lord, your posts follow a similar theme:\n\nSWMBO gets angry, LordEoin sweet talks her around.\n\nYou have a rare talent there

63 Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 9:09 PM

She can't stay mad at me. I'm too pretty \nIt just takes her a little time to realise that I'm right… again…

64 Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 2:27 PM

LordEoin:

I hate this thread. It made me buy an STC1000 AND a fridge \n\nAh well, the whole lot only cost me EUR45 in total.\n\nSwmbo was not impressed by my fridge purchase until I pointed out that it is better than our existing kitchen fridge. So i'll be taking that one for brewing and putting the new one in the kitchen.\n\nUpgraded both rooms in one move.\nI think I deserve a beer!

\nim hating this sight also…..one minute swilling in a dirt floor shed…now looking up gadgets on ebay lol….theres just no end to being an alkie ive found lol

65 Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 10:34 PM

how would one of these temp controllers work on a big chest freezer? I have one that has not been much use (looking to downsize) that is big enough to fit 2 FV (side by side)in it….

66 Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 10:39 PM

Hi Ivon T. \n\n

Ivon T:

how would one of these temp controllers work on a big chest freezer? I have one that has not been much use (looking to downsize) that is big enough to fit 2 FV (side by side)in it….

\nThe STC-1000 works exactly the same on a freezer as it does on a fridge. It regulates the temperature inside. All the STC-1000 unit does, is give YOU the ability to select the temperature you want inside. It simply turns the fridge/freezer on & off to attain the temperature you set in the unit.\n\nA freezer is no different to a fridge when controlled by this unit.\n\nI hope that helps. \n\nAnthony.\n

67 Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 10:47 PM

I have suspended brewing for the time being due to temps here in CQ being lovely during the summer months - this would be a coup if I could convert a resource I already have \n

68 Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:48 PM

well Temp Controller is on its way and the 460lt chest has been moved to the brew room….. Brewing Break to soon be over!!!!!

69 Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:41 PM

Good stuff Ivon T! \n\nA whole new world of better quality beer will soon be upon you. \n\nAnthony.

70 Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 7:56 AM

LordEoin:

So i'll be taking that one for brewing and putting the new one in the kitchen.

\n\nIt's going to be interesting to see how you justify the second one \n

71 Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 5:52 PM

Has anyone had any experience with one of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIGITAL-FRIDGE-THERMOSTAT-for-HOME-BREWING-9-to-38-Deg-C-Genuine-Brand-/270837508275?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item3f0f2c68b3

72 Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 6:10 PM

\nStick to an STC 1000.\nThat one does not appear to have separate heating and cooling switching circuits. Those universal sockets (described as Australian Socket) are usually a lot of crap that arcs and causes problems.\nMust say I chuckled at the little arrows pointing to some totally unreadable Chinese writing that tells us how it is a Genuine Brand and Tested and Made Professionally. One wonders what they really say.

73 Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 12 PM

Yob - I already have my eye on her chest freezer \nAndy - STC1000 is tried, tested and cheaper. Easy and fun to assemble.\n\nAnyway, Santa brought me the Dremel tool I asked for, so I spent the day playing with it and asembled my STC1000.\nI'm very happy with the outcome, apart from the size of the sockets, but Ireland seems to like big ugly white sockets, so they'll have to do. I didn't want any wires poking from the box and I can always switch them later on if I come across smaller ones.\n\nFirst of all, here's a cleaned up wiring diagram I made earlier:\n\n\nA view from the front:\n\n\nFrom the back:\n\n\nAnd inside:\n

74 Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 1:18 PM

Nice one LordE\nPerhaps a slightly higher box would make it perfect

75 Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 10:56 PM

That was the highest decent box i could get my hands on.\nNot too fussed though, it works a treat.

76 Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 5:43 AM

\nHey Andy\n\nI got one of those from a Hong Kong Ebay site for less than 1/2 that price, it is genuine too . I am using it in winter on my heat pad to maintain 16'C. It works a treat, I am tempted to put in on a fridge but I am a bit concerned about the compressor delay. I'll read the instructions tonite. \n\nAs the weather in Tassie warms up I am at decision time, my latest brew fremented at 22'C after I pitched at 20'C . Buy another STC, the last time I got 110V instead of 240v, or use the compact unit that I already have?

77 Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 6:05 AM

Firstly apologies to the STC1000 fraternity. I'm not trying to cause an argument, the STC1000 is a very good unit and priced quite well. I did my trade as an Instrument Fitter, process control, and industrial temperature controllers can cost as at least 10 times that price. \n\nAndy \n\nHad a look at the instructions. The unit switches on at +1 degree and off at -1 degree. Considering the probe will be mounted against the FV, i.e. a considerable heat sink, then the stopping and starting the compressor will not be an issue.\n\nThe decision on whether to use this unit or the STC1000 comes down to your personal situation. Do you have the skills, tools, time or the desire to wire up the STC1000. If you do then you should go ahead and order one and go for it. \nIf not you have two choices, get a pre-wired temp controller form one of the suppliers mentioned in other threads or go for this unit.\n

78 Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:36 AM

Scottie:

Firstly apologies to the STC1000 fraternity.\nThe decision on whether to use this unit or the STC1000 comes down to your personal situation. Do you have the skills, tools, time or the desire to wire up the STC1000. If you do then you should go ahead and order one and go for it. \nIf not you have two choices, get a pre-wired temp controller form one of the suppliers mentioned in other threads or go for this unit.\n

\nNo need to apologise to the STC1000 fanboys.\nAll your comments make total sense.\n\nLordE\nI really like the way you put the power switch on the back of your unit. Did you scavenge it from an old PC or buy it? I just might rebuild my 2 stc's into new boxes and copy your model (with a taller boxs)

79 Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 12:16 PM

I bought it for about 3euro.\nThey're simple to install because the wires connect with ‘spades?’ (not sure if that's the correct word, THESE) so no soldering needed.\nAlso the unit itself just clips in without the need for screws etc.\nIt also has a built in fuse which is handy in case I messed anything up

80 Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 2:14 PM

For those considering an STC1000, if you jump on ebay, beware that there is a 110v and a 220v available. the 220v works fine, just make sure you dont order the 110v by mistake, there are so many sellers that it can become confusing. from memory there may also be a 12v version available, but dont quote me BTW, dont be put 0ff with wiring it up, just follow billk's diagram, of better still have a look at the good lords version, it is very clear. also, if you are in a warmer climate like me, you really only need to wire the cooling side, which makes it even easier. Yob, Lusty and the southern monkeys will say do both hot and cold sides, which does make sense if you live close to antarctica