1 Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 4:34 PM

Today I ran the first little bit of liquid out of the urn (post boil) for measuring purposes, but I noticed that the first split second was clear.

Measured that at 1.046 but took a second sample immediately afterwards and that one was 1.052, so that split second of clear made a big difference! I guess it had just been hanging out in the tap the whole time instead of mixing with the rest of the wort.

2 Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 6:05 PM

King rudd I had the exact same thing happen on my reading on Fridays brew! I usually take a sample from the top of the kettle but this time decided to mix it up a bit. Sample was 1.048 when my preboil gravity was 1.045 so I know we it had to be wrong. Remeasured after I had transferred to cube and it was 1.051. Must have been water in the tap that never comes out until the end

3 Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 6:35 PM

When i take samples on brew day i always draw off and recirculate a few 400ml samples before taking the final true reading. Seems to work ok

4 Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 5:55 AM

I always transfer to the cube before I take the post boil sample. It's usually full of hot break too so I use a Pyrex jug and let it settle out in that before tipping clear wort into the testing jar.

Last edited by Otto Von Blotto (Monday, April 16, 2018 5:55 AM)