1 Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 7:53 AM

Hi all,
After some opinions, I am on my first brew with the fermentasaurus. I kept it simple coopers pale ale, brew enhance2 amd safale04 brewed in fermenting fridge which is also a first. First thing I did after 6 days of good fermenting was remove the collection bottle full of trub, rinsed and replaced it. Took a reading at 1022. Now 10 days slowed down almost stopped I think reading at 1017. And tastes terrible. Maybe just because it's a new toy I am looking to hard at it. Usually I would just leave a brew till the airlock settles evenly wait a day or two chill, keg, carbonate and drink, but I am in cairns so temps would usually brew in 4-6 days. Never had a problem except taste from temps not bad just homebrew, hence the new toys to improve beer quality.
The thing I'm not sure about is removing the trub, brew times at 18c and will that chemical taste go?

2 Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 1:08 PM

Hi Nick fnq, & welcome to the forum.

Nick fnq:

…First thing I did after 6 days of good fermenting was remove the collection bottle full of trub, rinsed and replaced it. Took a reading at 1022…The thing I'm not sure about is removing the trub,

Not something I would do as a rule particularly if you are unsure of whether the brew is still actively fermenting. In your case this time, it was. I would wait until you are at expected FG or very near it before doing this.
Nick fnq:

…Now 10 days slowed down almost stopped I think reading at 1017. And tastes terrible…brew times at 18c and will that chemical taste go?

Does it taste sweet?

S-04 is notorious for dropping off to sleep before completing fermentation. 1.017 does still seem quite high as a FG for this brew. Somewhere around 1.011-1.013 would be closer to what I would expect given the yeast used + ingredients.

In my experiences with S-04, I prefer to ferment it a little higher around 20°C so that it keeps fermenting until expected FG is reached. I experienced a similar problem to you when I fermented it lower @ 18°C.

If it were me, I'd look to gently re-rouse the yeast & elevate the temperature to 20°C+ to encourage the yeast to finish off the ferment.

Good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

3 Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:27 PM

Thanks lusty.
Yeah I second guessed myself after removing the trub… but too late.
I have just given the yeast cake in the bottle a bit of a roll and bumped the temp up to 20. Thanks for the advice hopefully it's good by next weekend.

Last edited by Nick fnq (Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:27 PM)