1 Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 11:48 PM

Anyone know where to get it? To be honest when using coopers kits I always used us05 or the commercial beer yeast recultured. But I've been doing other projects where I used all the saved up old kit yeast and it did very well.
But now all my coopers kit yeast packs are gone and I'm trying to source a yeast like it.
I've done some research years ago where people mentioned mauri yeast and other bakers yeast but it doesn't flocculate as well as the coopers kit yeast.

2 Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 1:59 PM

Hello ptbeer, & welcome to the forum.

ptbeer:

Anyone know where to get it?

Under the tin lids.

As far as I know, it is not available individually for retail sale.
ptbeer:

…But now all my coopers kit yeast packs are gone and I'm trying to source a yeast like it.

You can harvest & re-use yeast from your fermented batches. Simply bottle all of your beer as normal, then provided there is still some beer liquid remaining above the trub, swirl this in the fermenter & pour via the FV tap approx. 400mls into a sanitised jar. If there isn't enough liquid, add some cooled boiled water to the FV & then swirl & pour. Seal & store in the fridge until your next brew day.

Cheers,

Lusty.

3 Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 7:55 AM

Probably doesn't help you, but in Canada it used to be available both in 7gm packages and 15gm packages. It is worth seeking out if you can find it. Very easy to work with.

Cheers,

Christina.

4 Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 12:52 PM

Don't know where you live but my local country brewer in prospect Sydney carries mauri yeast which is purported to be the kit yeasts. 497 the lager and 514 ale. The other country Brewers around would likely stock it as well. Other way is save some slurry as lusty said or you could culture it from bottles of your previous batches.

5 Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 7:19 PM

Hello

Is there a good methodology to harvest yeast from commercial beer bottles?

6 Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 10:35 PM

Depends on the beer as to whether you can actually harvest yeast. Most are filtered and or pasteurised which makes it nigh on impossible to harvest. For the ones which are not and are bottle conditioned then I have used two methods.

1. Save the dregs from multiple bottles and pitched them into a solution of malt and sugar in a glass jar.
2. Put some sugar into the dregs of a bottle and some glad wrap with an elastic band.

Both worked for coopers fine. Never failed. Tried hoegaarden a few times and failed. Tried chimay a few times and succeeded once. Tried it in a small 4L batch and it was shite. Don't know if it was contaminated or they use a different bottling yeast or not.

Anything bar coopers in my experience and from googling is hit and miss.

7 Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 11:35 AM

Why not shoot coopers an email asking if you can purchase the yeast kits.
store@coopers.com.au

or at https://coopers.com.au/contact-us

8 Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 11:41 AM

Ok thanks.

Last edited by Pale ale (Thursday, April 19, 2018 11:41 AM)