1 Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 11:39 AM

After a quick look around The Forum I cannot find a thread/topic to help me with this. I've been looking for about 100gms of Melba hops and cannot find them at any of the suppliers I usually use (about 10 of them).

The recent fire at Elleslie may account for this shortage.

The two suppliers that come up on the Forum do not have them listed (National Home Brew) or currently available (Craft Brewer). The only other possible source i Morgans finishing hops at between $3-5 per 12gms. Not really an option.

Does anyone know of a supply at a reasonable price.

2 Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 12:52 PM

As RepSpec mentioned in another thread, there was a catastrophic fire at the Ellerslie Estate hop farm just over a week ago. It destroyed the main plant & storage facilities along with much of the 2018 crop.

Melba is one of the hops Ellerslie produces.

Being a relatively new variety, I wouldn't expect large volumes of it to be out in the home brew sector anyways, & given the fire, I also wouldn't expect to see it available to home brewers again for quite sometime.

If you really want the hop, a place known as the “One Stop Bar Shop” in Victoria has the hop listed as part of their inventory (Linky). You could give them a try. It isn't cheap though.

Other than that, I'd look to use another variety with similar attributes in it's place.

Cheers,

Lusty.

3 Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 8 PM

Thanks Lusty,

I'd already checkout OSBS and, yes expensive for 60gms. It's more than I'm prepared to pay. There's plenty to brew while I wait and if I get impatient for that particular brew, I'll just have to look to substitutes (Coopers ROTM Session Ale - it'd sold out when I went to buy it).

Last edited by robwalk (Saturday, April 14, 2018 8 PM)