1 Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 8:27 PM

Hi guys,

Firstly, thanks for all the help I've gained from all the posts I've followed on here!

I've made about a dozen kits and bits recipes with some reasonable results (mostly since getting a fermentation fridge). I'm tempted to try some AG but really don't have the time, and with another kid on the way not likely to any time soon! I'm currently getting set up in my new brew shed and need to get an electric heating solution, would like to try some extract recipes now too. Tending towards getting a benchtop induction cooker to use with the large stockpot I've already got, anyone used one of these? Had thought about getting a crown urn for potential AG in future but seems like a bit of an unnecessary outlay for doing 5-10L boils for extract/short hop boils? Any advice gratefully received :)

Cheers

Neil

2 Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 2:11 AM

Hey-gringo,

What is your pot made of?

I don't have any experience with induction stoves, but I understand there can be an issue with aluminum pots, meaning they aren't compatible, and even some stainless steel ones (some are non-magnetic) might not be compatible.

Cheers,

Christina.

3 Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 7:08 AM

Hi Christina,

Yeah checked with a magnet after googling it so looks like my pot should work. The heater I'm looking at is 2000W, seems like that should be ok for smallish boils but would probably struggle for biab volume.

Cheers

Neil

4 Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 10:40 AM

You could just use a gas burner to heat/boil it, it's probably cheaper than an induction cooktop and then if you do get to the point of going to AG simply buy a bigger pot that will do the job for that, and keep using the burner with it.

5 Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 5:14 PM

Found one in target for $50 which doesn't seem too bad. I'll be brewing in a poorly ventilated shed area under my wooden house so reckon I'll stick with electric over gas to lessen risk of gassing myself or burning the house down.

6 Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 10:25 PM

Well had my first attempt with the induction cooker trying out an extract brew (cascarillo amber ale) and worked well. Heated quickly and kept the boil going nicely. Only realised after getting it it's not meant to be loaded more than 4kg so boiled 4L not 5L, hoping this won't be a big issue. Probably not the solution for everyone (or possibly anyone else) but reckon it'll do me :)

Last edited by Hey.gringo (Tuesday, April 17, 2018 10:25 PM)