1 Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 5:32 AM

Hi Guys,
My first brew Dark Ale used brew enhancer 2 great head and malty flavour..
my second brew Mild Ale followed the recipe 500grams ldme no head.
My third brew Kilted Ipa,500grms no head to speak off.
I am carbonating 750 ml 2 drops.And carbonating 500ml at 1 drop.
i am feeling that am drinking flat beer
Guys should i go back to the brewenhancer as it is putting me of recipes.

2 Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 8:50 AM

What season is it where you live, summer or winter

Are the bottles in secondary fermentation @ high enuff temps ? you want average temps above 16degrees

if stored below 16 degrees secondary can take ages

3 Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018 3:20 AM

Hi Waylon,
I live in Scotland and it is our spring I have a brewing cupboard where the temp sits between 18-20 degrees the bottles are rock solid and are well carbonated but when I pour my ale the head is there but blink and the head has disappeared .

When I used the brew enhancer 2 with the dark ale the head followed the ale down to the bottom of the glass .

I am at a loss I am manic about sanatising everything as soon as I pour an ale I rinse out the bottle add a little bit of sanatiser add some warm water and leave it to steep when I make a home brew I resanatise the bottles .

4 Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018 4:47 AM

Hi Wills. Don't switch back to BE2; you are better off using all malt.

The reason the Dark Ale had good head is likely due to the grist of the extract. The Dark Ale kit is rumoured to contain black patent and wheat, both of which are foam positive. We don't know the recipes of the Real Ale or APA kits but there is a good chance that if they contain either of those two ingredients, it would be in much smaller amounts.

Before I started doing partial mashes I used to have problems with head retention with my lighter coloured brews. I found including 300-400gm of wheat DME (which is about half wheat) helped quite a bit, especially when combined with late hops and dry hops. Wheat DME is not necessary with the Stout, Porter, Dark Ale, or wheat kits.

Also, make sure you don't have residual detergent on your glasses. Etched glassware helps replenish head, and a slight inward curve to the glass helps with head retention too. In any case avoid glassware with straight sides, or straight sides that flare out (wedge shaped).

5 Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018 11:20 PM

Hi Christina,

Thanks for your reply I will try the wheat Dme in my next brew and see how it turns out .

Last edited by wills15 (Monday, March 12, 2018 11:20 PM)