1 Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 3:10 PM

When your brewing skill aint up to scratch yet…

You pop into the local (rural) bottlo to get a box of something “crafty” (loose term) and decide on a box of wild yak pacific ales and ya get chatting to the owner and get a freebie james squires jack of spades porter to try.

Country hospitality gotta love it.

As far as my brewing skills are concerned….
My last batch was my best so far but poor efficiency and im pretty confident i dont have my equipment dialed in properly on beersmith which wouldn't be helping. I also need let go of galaxy hops for a while. I want to clone the stone and wood pacific ale or even get a punchier passionfruit hit but galaxy is too volatile for me right now and i should focus on technique before styles for now.

I am getting a “masterclass” from a mate on the march long weekend (would be sooner but my roster doesnt work with his days until then) so should be able to get a brew right from then on

2 Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018 3:03 PM

Had my masterclass yesterday and feel confident going forward that i can brew beer decently.

I wasn't doing much wrong, just needed to make a few changes and get beersmith set up right.

3 Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018 3:24 PM

Well, next post will be like a leaf outta Scottie’s book………. “best brew ever”

Good luck

4 Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018 5:21 PM

Hi complete novice here. Been beginning to enjoy me pale ales, IPAs and APAs. So me and my gf decided to buy a coopers brew kit. We also bought black rock apa. Stupidly decided we would rather attempt the APA first as this a offered take. Not realising the black rock APA calls for the black rock ultra light as well.

We added the enhancer 1 which comes with the kit with the black rock APA. Mixed her up and added water to bang on 23ltrs then added the yeast. Fired the lid back on and left it to do it's thing. It has been fermenting for a couple days now.

Can anyone tell me what to expect with Black Rock APA and brew enhancer 1 as the core ingredients. We are concerned we might have just wasted a batch :(

Any input would be appreciated. Go easy though we are rank amateurs lol

Just hoping there is a beer to salvage out of it

5 Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 3:08 PM

It will make beer, but not having ever used that kit I couldn't tell you what to expect from it.

6 Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 10:31 PM

Double post deleted.

7 Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 10:34 PM

I haven't used a Black Rock kit in a long time, and they didn't used to have an APA kit. Not sure if they have changed, but as I recalled they only provided 6gm of yeast. Probably good you mixed that one with BE1, as it doesn't contain any malt and would be easier on the yeast.

Not sure if you are aware, but if you mix any kit with a tin of LME you would need more yeast than what comes with the kit.

Update: I just noticed that Black Rock's Ultra Light Extract second ingredient is “maltose syrup,” which would be derived from a grain other than barley, most likely corn. Maltose syrup won't contain the same flavours and un-fermentables that barley malt does, so “Ultra Light” is right. I see Black Rock also makes an “Unhopped Light Malt Extract,” which is 100% malted barley, same as Coopers. Either of those would be better options.

Last edited by ChristinaS1 (Tuesday, March 13, 2018 10:34 PM)