1 Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 9:36 PM

I’ve done quite a few brews and not had an infection before but I have done a TCC boot maker pale ale and the initial Krausen wasn’t very big and didn’t last for the usual amount of time and also looked a bit different than I normally see, but on the fifth day it appeared to have a 2nd krausen that had some strange looking bubbles in it, after doing some research on the net for signs of infection I haven’t found anything that looks like what I have and I’m not sure if it is infected but before I dump it or waste time bottling it I thought I would get some opinions cheers guys
I couldn't figure out how to post a pic so I made my profile pic a snap shot of the bubbles in question I hope it is clear enough

2 Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 6:15 AM

Every brew behaves differently, so no cause for concern there. From the looks of that pic it looks normal to me.

Best way to determine if it's infected or not though is to take a gravity sample and smell and taste it.

3 Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 8:23 PM

Cheers mate, how would I know by the gravity reading would it be higher than before or lower than it should be? The taste is still good but it has more of a yeasty smell to it now and a few days ago it had a strong fruity kind of ester smell

4 Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 8:37 PM

one way to post a pic for future reference.

5 Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:01 PM

Sounds pretty normal to me. The gravity reading will tell you how far along the fermentation is, but it can also serve as a taste and smell test to determine whether or not the beer is infected. The gravity reading should be lower now than what it was when you started the brew.

6 Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 7:15 AM

Did you add additional hops or dry hops by any chance? Ive noticed sometimes dry hoping can lead to co2 oxidation and increased krausen. Rarely infectious though.

Last edited by blurred (Friday, February 23, 2018 7:15 AM)