1 Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 2:52 AM

This may sound foolish but I would like to add pumpkin flavor to my beer.I had surgury for oral cancer 4 years ago an it has left me lacking proper taste.I have found that pumpkin pie is one taste that has remained and indeed is better than I ever remember.I have brewed several batches of Coopers Lager with great success and am now willing to experiment a bit.Iwas thinking of just boiling up some pumpkin tea and using it instead of straight water.I would think this would work but thought I would ask before I try it.Thanks for any input.

2 Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 8 AM

I have made a pumpkin beer before, although all grain. Baked diced pumpkin in the oven and then added it to the mash. It didn't have a strong pumpkin taste though. I added some spices (cinnamon and nutmeg I think) and that was the prominent taste.

Of the commercial varieties I have tried, the more ‘pumpkin pie flavoured’ beers tend to have pumpkin pie spices added. Perhaps you could try adding the spices to a batch to see if that works.

3 Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 8:42 AM

Funnily enough I read this on an English forum last night.

Added the pulp/juice/extract from cheap (after Halloween) Pumpkins to Wilco Cerveza, Pilsner and Golden Ale Kits. Also added Spices on a couple of occasions. Always had the “pumpkin” taste and generally finished by the end of the following January. (The exception being last years Spiced Ale where the taste of added cloves is only just receding enough to enjoy the brew.)

Wilco is an English brand so obviously swap for a Coopers Cerveza.
I can ask him for a bit more info if you like.

4 Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 11:36 AM

This just reminds me of the time my brother sent me down the shops to get him a 6 pack and told me to just get “whatever” when I asked what he wanted………..needless to say he was not impressed when I handed him a 6 pack of Pumpkin Ale :P which was covered in dust and leftover from the previous Halloween :)

5 Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 12:43 PM

Pumpkin Rising

This recipe was supplied - I haven't made this brew.

6 Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 12:54 PM

Thanks for the replies gang.We will see what happens.Cheers.

7 Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 1:17 PM

Along the same lines as what Hairy said, I've read a couple of times that often pumpkin beer contains no pumpkin at all and is more about the spices.

8 Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 6:41 AM

Thanks PB2-I believe I will give this a try and will tell all how it turns out.

Last edited by limpingoldguy (Thursday, February 22, 2018 6:41 AM)