1 Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 1:22 PM

A few of you may have heard me complain about my shitty stove before, but I think I just had an idea!! That is, if I split my batch into two pots and have them boiling on separate elements at the same time then maybe the stove will work better.

My only question is, do the hops need to be split proportionally? I'm likely to have two thirds in one pot and one third in the other, but they're different sizes so there's likely to be a lot of guesswork. So (ignoring hop concentration) lets say I boiled both pots but added all the hops to only one of them, would the bitterness average out to what I want it to be when combined in the fermenter? I can't imagine any reason it would but … well what do you think?

2 Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 1:47 PM

They would likely even out.

If you are making an IPA, maybe add the bittering hops to the larger pot and the finishing hops to the smaller one?

Cheers,

Christina.

3 Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:15 PM

What's the reason behind doing stove top boils? Thought you had an urn

4 Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:19 PM

Easier to take care of Jonah inside, so if a small batch works on the stove then why not?

5 Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:25 PM

Fair enough. I ended up moving my brewing from outside to inside with the urn… too much effect on the boil off rate when it was outside.

Last edited by Otto Von Blotto (Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:25 PM)