1 Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:37 AM

Hi All,

Looking at getting a grain mill and was wanting any recommendations. The Barley Crusher seems to get some good reviews.
Also I have been told that you should crush the individual grains for the recipe seperately rather than to entire grain bill?

2 Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 1:24 PM

I use a Mashmaster Minimill which has been excellent over the last 5 or so years. It is more expensive than a Barley Crusher I would think, but it should last a lifetime.

I suspect that milling grains separately thing is more to do with milling different types of grains separately, i.e. barley, wheat, rye etc. because the different kernel sizes require a different mill gap setting to achieve the best crush. It's not talking about milling base malt and Munich and Crystal or whatever separately. I throw them all in and mill them together; if I was using wheat or rye or something I'd leave them out and mill them separately, adjusting the mill gap as required.

3 Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:24 PM

Thanks for the advice.

Makes sense milling the different grains e.g wheat, rye etc but all the barley together.

What is the best way of keeping bulk grains? Was looking into some 20L pales which I thought would do the job.

4 Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 7:06 AM

The 20L pails are good, although you can't fit a whole 25kg sack of malt in them. I use 60L fermenters for my base malt, and a mixture of 5 and 11L pails for other grains.

5 Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:52 AM

I use a two roller Chinese eBay jobby and it works well.
I also crush the whole grain bill at once, including rye and wheat without issue.
I use the 20litre buckets - fits half a bag.

Last edited by Ben 10 (Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:52 AM)