1 Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 7:31 PM

Hi All,
Has anyone else tried these pies. There's a few different flavours. I grabbed the pepper beef and stout. Loved them. I found them in Woolworths.
Four N Twenty have teamed up with Gippsland Craft Beer Company Grand Ridge Brewery, and have created,
Pepper Beef and Dark Stout
Smoky Style Beef with Pale Ale &
Classic Beef with Golden Ale.
Think I'll be taking pies to work for lunch. Gonna have to try them all.

2 Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 10:07 PM

Just put it on the shopping list for the missus to get.
They sound great!!

Youngie

3 Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 6:48 AM

No Woolies near us, well there probably is somewhere but Coles is closer… will keep an eye out to see if they appear there. Sounds interesting!

4 Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10 AM

Whats the meat like in them? I cant stand pies where they use mince….I like my pies chuuuunnnnkkkyyyy!

5 Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 11:45 AM

Fergy1987:

Whats the meat like in them? I cant stand pies where they use mince….I like my pies chuuuunnnnkkkyyyy!

Had a meat pie once in New Zealand. I got completely disoriented. It had chunks of meat in it.

6 Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 11:56 AM

… what were you expecting?

7 Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 11:58 AM

I'm having enough trouble atm with the beer based ‘battle of the bulge’ without adding beer pies onto the menu!

An interesting idea though, that'll probably do well.

Cheers,

Lusty.

8 Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 12:45 PM

I actually bought these last week when I was wandering through Coles. they were on special and there was a NEW sticker on them, so I got a 4-pack. I got the one with Golden Ale.

My honest review: tasted like any other Four n Twenty pie (i.e. not good). Couldn't pick any Golden Ale flavours in there. Won't buy again.

If I do go for a frozen pie, the premium ones (that only come in 2-packs) are much better. Like Fergy, a real pie should use chunks of beef (with mince is OK, but not all mince). Herbert Adams make a good pie, probably the best you can buy from a supermarket. Although I did get these Mrs Macs pies that were not pre-cooked and took ages in the oven. They were nice.

My local pub does a classic beef and Guiness pie and you can actually taste the beer in the gravy. I suspect Four n Twenty just waved a beer past the production line and spent the money on marketing and packaging!

9 Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 1:19 PM

King Ruddager:

… what were you expecting?

Well having been brought up on ‘meat pies’ in Australia which were often more like a gravy capsule than even a pie containing mince, it was a shock (a pleasant one) to find large chunks of steak packed together in a pastry casing separated by only the merest hint of a meat sauce. It was more like a Beef Wellington than an Australian pie.

It left such an impression on me I can still ‘see’ the shop and its surrounds in my mind even though it was probably 30 years ago!

I was left thinking, “oh so THAT'S a meat pie, rather than a mince, gristle and gravy pie”.

10 Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 6:07 PM

Fergy1987:

No big chunks.

11 Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 6:12 PM

joolbag:

I actually bought these last week when I was wandering through Coles. they were on special and there was a NEW sticker on them, so I got a 4-pack. I got the one with Golden Ale.

My honest review: tasted like any other Four n Twenty pie (i.e. not good). Couldn't pick any Golden Ale flavours in there. Won't buy again.

If I do go for a frozen pie, the premium ones (that only come in 2-packs) are much better. Like Fergy, a real pie should use chunks of beef (with mince is OK, but not all mince). Herbert Adams make a good pie, probably the best you can buy from a supermarket.

I agree with you on the Herbert Adams 2-pack pie. I haven't tried the golden ale pie but I really enjoyed the pepper beef with stout.

12 Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:37 PM

Do they come with a sachet of Mylanta?

Last edited by Gag Halfrunt (Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:37 PM)