1 Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 9:54 PM

Hi Guys,

So I have completed my first kit beer and I'm pretty happy with how it is (granted I have 2 weeks until the finished product)

I am now planning the next step in brewing and breaking out of the box.

Do you guys do all grain brewing or are some of you doing Extract brewing? I'm leaching some information and finding out what the next best steps would be.
Can you make a decent APA, or are you again stuck with a fixed recipe and limits?

Granted it's going to be a while before I get this extract brew on the go. Any information would be appreciated.

2 Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 10:30 PM

Gday Peter and welcome to the forum,
There is loads of information in this forum if your willing to read a lot and find out what suits you and your brewing.
This is a fun hobby and there is no limit to how in depth you want to go, so welcome to the journey.

There are all sorts of brewers on this forum, two canners, partial mashers, full extract, all grain.

As for your next step, maybe somewhere along the lines of steeping some hops or some grains.
I have made some delicious APA’s with two cans and some hops steeping as I’m sure there are many others that do to.
Check out some recipes on brew day what you got 2017, Lusty, Blacksands among others have some tasty looking brews.

However,
The choice is yours my friend.
Cheers,
Captain

3 Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 10:36 PM

You could also get some reading material like John palmers how to brew. Gives a good basis on the technical side as well as being fairly easy to read.

4 Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 9:30 AM

Forum is definitely a great place to start as the Captain commands, and if you look around you'll find good extract recipes everywhere.

Maybe this one from the Coopers recipe section would be a good place to start - it's pretty simple and I reckon it would produce a delicious beer:

http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/59/

Also all those ingredients are easy to get and the recipe is straightforward and pretty simple.

I find ‘Brew Your Own’ magazine to be great for recipes, but they've recently started firewalling it which sucks. Word of caution though, I find with American extract recipes they often use extracts that either aren't available here or are in odd sizes that also aren't available. You'd be able to convert them for sure but I'm not experienced enough to do that with any confidence.

5 Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 2:51 PM

Converting the outdated US measurements to metric isn't hard, some of them even have them listed in brackets in the recipes.

Anyway, I brew all grain and have done for the last 5 and a half years, but before I made the move I did some extract batches without a kit, after brewing half a dozen or so kit beers first up. I think it's a good way to learn more about the brewing process and recipe design without overloading yourself with too much.

The main difference between kit brewing and extract brewing is that you have to provide the bitterness yourself by boiling hops for periods of time. Half an hour is generally enough with extract; the full 60-90 minute boils in all grain are done for reasons other than achieving hop bitterness (although a lot of recipes do boil some of the hops for that long), but these aren't necessary with extract as it has already been boiled when it was made by the brewery.

Cheers

Kelsey

6 Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 7:31 PM

Without wanting to be too much of a spammer, watching some of the different brew day videos on my YouTube channel Fast Homebrew might give you some ideas about what the next steps are and where to take it

7 Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 8:20 PM

It goes something like:

>kit and kilo brewing
>kit and kilo and malt steeps
>kit and kilo and malt steeps and hop boils/dry hopping
>extract brewing
>all grain

If you wanna go straight to extract then go for it, http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/54/
That's the best in my personal opinion, very tidy result and good fun to start with.

That's a very basic idea there's obviously other things you can incorporate along the way amongst brews like yeast starters, re hydrating yeasts and other little things you can add to each brew to improve it slowly and steadily.

Have fun

edit. and yeah watching King's videos are definitely worth the time. Well put together informative videos and take note of the shit he pulls out of the freezer haha

8 Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 10:52 AM

Thank you so much for the info I knew I would have my work cut out for me when I started brewing however I didn't realise there was so much out there.

I do have a couple of brewing books:
Mastering home brew
Making beer at home.

I am just about finished “The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck” a decent read and once I have finished that I'll jump into the brewing books and will pick up John Palmer how to brew as recommended by The Captain and I'll go with Kings videos too.

I am loving the homebrewing too, my mates and bro and always asking if it ready and what I am doing next.

Last edited by Peter_1983 (Wednesday, February 14, 2018 10:52 AM)