1 Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 7:45 AM

Hi I have bought some pure sodium percarbonate and was wondering what the recommended concentration for cleaning is.

I have a large tub in which I have been soaking my bottles and don't want to under dose. On the other hand I don't want to use more than I have to.

I've searched the internet with no particular joy at this point.

Any ideas?

2 Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:42 PM

The packet I have says 10 grams per litre.
I think that's way too much though and I just chuck some in and mix how I feel.

3 Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 1:58 PM

is there any scent from the pure sodium perc ?
i have the coles brand laundry soaker as this was the least scented from all the regular type napisan products which all emit that fresh laundry odour.
But even with the coles, there is a slight odour but im hoping/guessing this is just the ‘chemical’ scent

4 Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 3:31 PM

Graculus:

The packet I have says 10 grams per litre.
I think that's way too much though and I just chuck some in and mix how I feel.

Yes 10 grams seems WAY too much if you're only working with beer residue and not baby poop! With maybe 40 litres in a large tub that would be like 80 teaspoons!

I just winged it this time but I kind of think that if the water feels slippery to the touch then it is strong enough to react with the oils in your skin and must be doing something, particularly over a 12 hour - 24 hour soak.

Aldi's DiSan says for soaking clothes to put half a capful into a 7 litre bucket. I measured the cap in teaspoons: around 4 teaspoons. At about 5g/teaspoon that is 20g/7 litres or 2.9g/litre.

But since DiSan is what, 30% sodium percarbonate, if you were using 100% sodium percarbonate, that would be more like .87g/litre, call it 1g per litre.

Consequently that would be 1 teaspoon per 5 litres. So, 5 teaspoons for a 25l FV, 3 teaspoons for a 15l FV or 8 teaspoons for a 40l tub.

Any views? More or less?

5 Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 7:25 PM

The packet I have says to use 30g per 10L and that seems to do the job.

6 Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 7:28 PM

I don't think there really is a standard rate to use it at. You just use what you feel is necessary to do the job. 1g per litre seems a bit pointless though, that's hardly anything. At a rough guess I probably use between 5 and 10 grams per litre depending on what I'm using it for.

7 Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 10:31 PM

Otto Von Blotto:

I don't think there really is a standard rate to use it at. You just use what you feel is necessary to do the job. 1g per litre seems a bit pointless though, that's hardly anything. At a rough guess I probably use between 5 and 10 grams per litre depending on what I'm using it for.

Still, I'm intrigued by DiSan's dosing rate of 20g of their product per 7 litres. Wouldn't that be equally pointless? The safety data sheet on the Aldi website says that Disan is <40% sodium percarbonate.

And here is the dosage rate on the Napisan website: Soak: Fully dissolve 30g of Vanish Napisan Oxi Action Powder into 7 litres of warm water (max 40°C) and leave it to soak. Leave to soak for a minimum of 2 hours. According to the Simply Australian website, the active ingredient in Napisan is 25.7% sodium percarbonate.

8 Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 6:23 PM

My Brewmart sodium perc. says two table spoons in five litres of cold water. That's how I've been using it. No probs.

9 Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 8:36 PM

My National Homebrew sodium percarb says to use 10 grams to 3 litres

10 Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 6:55 AM

I think you're overthinking it and making a simple thing way more complicated than it needs to be. Just dump some in and leave it be, it doesn't matter whether it's 3g per litre or 7g per litre or whatever it is, it's gonna work and do the cleaning it's intended to do. Obviously there's no need to be putting in half a bucket of the stuff, and one teaspoon in 5 litres ain't gonna do shit either, but other than that who cares? It doesn't have to be used at an exact ratio to water like Starsan does.

11 Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 10:07 AM

Otto Von Blotto:

I think you're overthinking it and making a simple thing way more complicated than it needs to be. Just dump some in and leave it be, it doesn't matter whether it's 3g per litre or 7g per litre or whatever it is, it's gonna work and do the cleaning it's intended to do. Obviously there's no need to be putting in half a bucket of the stuff, and one teaspoon in 5 litres ain't gonna do shit either, but other than that who cares? It doesn't have to be used at an exact ratio to water like Starsan does.

Yep over thinking fair enough. In the end I used a concentration more like the one's below i.e. 30g / 10 litres or 10g/3 litres just to be sure. This is three times more that I calculated.

By the way, had a stain on a white shirt and treated it with DiSan as per instructions. Came back after the appointed time and nothing much had changed. Rinsed with fresh water and did the same thing with 100% perc. Admittedly forgot that it was in the sink so it was treated for longer, but when I came back, the stain was completely gone. Most likely it was the perc or maybe because I left it longer. In any case, got the job done.

12 Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 11:50 AM

Yeah I find it's a very good stain remover and all round brightener. I usually chuck in a scoop when I do the clothes washing and they always come out really good.

13 Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 11:01 PM

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_730383/coopers-sanitiser-280g

Coopers sanitiser is 100%Sod Perc
Instructions are, 40g into the 30l FV, so about 10g/8Litres or a shade over 1g/litre
One level capful is 10g they say on the label

14 Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:49 PM

Otto Von Blotto:

I'm with you Otto, I usually dump what looks like about a handful into my fv and add a few inches of water, shake it around and let it soak for a couple of hours (or sometimes overnight), never actually measured. Works for me.

15 Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 10:33 AM

headmaster:

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_730383/coopers-sanitiser-280g

Coopers sanitiser is 100%Sod Perc
Instructions are, 40g into the 30l FV, so about 10g/8Litres or a shade over 1g/litre
One level capful is 10g they say on the label

Thanks Mate, that is pretty much what I worked out even though I eventually used a bit more.

These chemicals are supposed to be very safe but the fewer chemicals the better I reckon.

The guy who sold me the perc showed me a measuring cup he used for his 30l fermenter and I reckon it was not more that two or three big thimbles worth.

Each to their own.

Last edited by DonPolo (Wednesday, February 14, 2018 10:33 AM)