1 Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 9:50 AM

Hey all, I just went out and picked up some stuff to make a bottling bucket. I grabbed one of these:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/icon-plastics-25l-blue-tint-water-storage-drum-with-bung_p3240532
a matching tap, and 5m of 10mm food grade tubing.

I'll be using it for the first time this weekend. I'll still be using carb drops (because I already have a packet), but planning to bulk prime next time. Main reason for using it is that the fermenter is in a storage room under the house that doesn't have much bench space, so I'd prefer to bottle in the kitchen. I've got 2 bottling wands (one a bit melted at one end), so I'll be cutting one up, and using a bit of the tube to interface between the vinyl tubing and the FV tap.

Questions:

1. Do I just rinse/star-san the container? Do I boil, then star-san the tubing?
2. When transferring, do I just go with the bare tube in the bottling bucket (i.e. no bottle wand)? I'm assuming I'll want the tube end low/ submerged as soon as possible to avoid oxygenisation etc.
3. If anyone's done this, is there a point at which the tubing is too long, and affects the beer flow? I was planning on about 2m, so I have plenty of room to work with.

2 Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 10:26 AM

Hmm, I've got one of those and I'd say the tap is too high from the bottom to make a good bottling bucket I'm afraid. This one would probably have been a better choice: https://www.bunnings.com.au/icon-plastics-25l-blue-tint-wide-mouth-water-storage-drum-with-bung_p3240533

3 Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 11:52 AM

Cheers. I was considering trying to take it back and swap it for that one anyway. I thought that the handle on the one I got was probably better for carrying a full container, but the narrow opening would make it hard to through in a hop bomb etc. I also thought square would be easier arrange in a brew fridge if/when I get one. But I'll try and take it back and swap.

4 Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 12:27 PM

Yep just connect the tube to the tap on the fermenter and place the other end in the bottom of the bottling bucket. No need to connect a bottling wand to it. I found a rinse in hot tap water followed by Starsan inside and out was enough for the tube, followed by another rinse in hot tap water after the transfer. I have no idea how long I've had this piece of tubing but it would probably be coming up to 5 years now, and I now use it to transfer into my kegs. Haven't had any infection issues.

Unsure as to why you'd be putting the bottling bucket in the brew fridge though?

5 Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 1:11 PM

Thanks for the tips.

Otto Von Blotto:

Unsure as to why you'd be putting the bottling bucket in the brew fridge though?

You're right. I was thinking about a couple of options; using it as an FV, and sticking it in a brew fridge. Or cold crashing either in the brew fridge, or in the main fridge (depending on how much I value my life). I guess I thought it might be more versatile, but apart from the higher tap, that small opening knocks out some versatility as well.

6 Posted: Friday, February 09, 2018 7:28 AM

Most of us who are cold crashing just do it in the primary fermenter rather than transferring it to another one for the process. It works just as well so there's no real point in transferring.

7 Posted: Friday, February 09, 2018 8:47 AM

I have the 30 litre wide mouth container. Extra head space is good for the bigger batches or more explosive brews.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/icon-plastics-30l-blue-tint-wide-mouth-water-storage-drum-with-bung_p3240534

8 Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 1:06 PM

smokyjoe:

3. If anyone's done this, is there a point at which the tubing is too long, and affects the beer flow? I was planning on about 2m, so I have plenty of room to work with.

Well I bottled my brew last night. I ended up using about 1.5m of tubing.

For those using tubing, are you bottling on the ground? I was hoping that I could use the wand and tube to fill bottles on the bench, but either my tube was too long, and/or gravity was more powerful than the pressure coming through the tap. I could fill bottles on the bench, but it was very slow, so had to resort to doing it on the floor.

It ended up being fairly painless though, as I found that I could sit the bottling wand inside a bottle on the ground and let it fill itself. Whilst it was doing this, I had just enough time to add carb drops and twist on a bottlecap onto the previous bottle that was filled.

9 Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 1:32 PM

smokyjoe:

smokyjoe:

Well I bottled my brew last night. I ended up using about 1.5m of tubing.

For those using tubing, are you bottling on the ground? I was hoping that I could use the wand and tube to fill bottles on the bench, but either my tube was too long, and/or gravity was more powerful than the pressure coming through the tap. I could fill bottles on the bench, but it was very slow, so had to resort to doing it on the floor.

It ended up being fairly painless though, as I found that I could sit the bottling wand inside a bottle on the ground and let it fill itself. Whilst it was doing this, I had just enough time to add carb drops and twist on a bottlecap onto the previous bottle that was filled.

Yea, I bottle on the ground. I have a milk crate that fits about 9 longnecks. My process is:

1. bottling bucket on bench
2. put bottles in milk crate on the ground
2. fill bottles with tube and bottling wand on the ground, pressing the wand into the bottom of each bottle
3. lift crate of full bottles onto bench next to capper
4. cap bottles and put them back into the milk crate
5. carry full bottles in crate to the fridge for conditioning

Doesn't take too long doing 9 at a time.

Last edited by MuchSauce (Monday, February 12, 2018 1:32 PM)