1 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 3:24 PM

So after one year of homebrewing (in the little George craft FV), a nice birthday gift voucher in December went into purchasing “my first keg” (10l ikegger unit), and as you can imagine, not soon after, the kegerator plans came along…. So I thought it might be fun to get a little thread recording the build

Now there's a few challenges here - primarily that I have very little space to play with. While we're blessed with a proper bar in our rumpus/games room, it's pretty squeezy, and it didn't take long to realise that a full size fridge, or even a bar fridge for that matter, was going to make the space impossibly tight. (Which is a shame, as SWMBO was more than happy to invest in a new fridge if it also meant more space for her stuff too!). I would have loved to have installed the taps properly in the countertop, but with a counter depth of only about 35cm, it's just not going to happen…

So after a lot of back and forth I had settled on one of these:

It's a little countertop fridge, but a couple of things seem perfect about it:

1. Just wide/deep enough to fit 3 10l kegs in it, but small enough to fit in the space I have.
2. Has all the refrigeration gear underneath the base, so the top is clear of any worrying coolant pipes when it comes time to drill for beer and gas lines.

Just before Christmas I found one a short drive away and within two hours had it back in the house!

So far so good - although they're an interesting beast: They appear to have the fan going all the time (methinks to keep food usually stored on the top shelf cold) which I'm not entirely certain about in regards to noise, but have been experimenting with running it on it's own thermostat or utilising a spare inkbird that I had lying around. Regardless, it kept my first keg at about 5C, so tick one box!

So the end goal is a three 10l keg, three tap kegerator which can neatly fit into my bar area, and potentially be able to be wheeled around for parties, etc. The work starts this weekend so I'll be updating as we go!

2 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 3:47 PM

Good luck with the build Happy Chappies.
Hopefully works out how you planned.

Cheers
Kirk

3 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 6:10 PM

Brilliant idea mate! Keen to watch this come together

4 Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 4:24 PM

Build update #1:

OK - so here we go

The first step has been some modifications to the fridge itself. It wasn't quite tall enough to take the 10l kegs so I removed the top (inc light, suitably adorned with Coopers stickers!!). To make the fridge tall enough I purchased some insulation board from the big green shed which was quite cheap - I had put aside a bundle of broccoli boxes for this but as I approached build decided they're slightly uneven proportions and such would lead to a shoddy build, so spent a little money on proper stuff.

That has also helped further insulate the fridge. Clearly the manufacturer felt that double glazing was enough but I'm happier with foam - Plus one of the panes was already broken. Foam was stuck onto the frames with the fast-cure liquid nails (apparently one of the few adhesives that will stick polystyrene foam), and aluminium tape to hold it in place while it cures.

The other thing I discovered by now was that the door was a bit dodgy, not sealing well - so I decided to do away with it entirely and will build a new door encompassing fresh insulation later on.

A few progress pictures:

Only thing left to do to the fridge itself is grind off the old door hinge post (which will get in the way of the new door), and perhaps strengthen the floor with some ply, as it feels a bit too flimsy to have up to 30kg of keg in it right now.

Show Image Attachments
Image Attachments:

5 Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 8:48 PM

Keep the build updates coming

6 Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 9:06 PM

Build update #2:

So time to start in earnest on the housing, and with the house this evening full of 10 year old boys (damn school holidays), hiding in the garage resulted in some significant progress!

Here's what we've got:

A simple structure, designed to be just big enough to hold the fridge. The black lining the insides are thin rubber matting I had lying around, with the intention to hopefully reduce the noise and vibration a little bit. Not sure how much difference it will make, but it was free, so why not. Gluing that was a bugger. The fast-set liquid nails which apparently does rubber was useless (on both the rubber and the mdf!) so resorted to some carpet tile adhesive I had leftover which has worked quite well.

The other side of it is a smaller compartment, just big enough to hold a 2.6kg CO2 cylinder, house the inkbird and, if we come to it later, manifolds. The spaces cut out at the bottoms are for ventilation for the compressor.

Certainly is tall and thin now that I see it in the flesh!

Show Image Attachments
Image Attachments:

7 Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 9:38 AM

Build update #3:

Starting to take shape now, and at the point where I can begin to get a feel for how it's going to look and function.

So all painted now and edging completed, and installed the butchers block which we had left over from our kitchen renovations. The space on the left is for the 2.6kg CO2 bottle (when I finally get one).

Also bit the bullet and purchased a 3 tap tower so installed that, and the taps are ready to go also. So definitely getting to the fun part of the build now!

It's going to be a pretty heavy beast though, with the combination of MDF and butchers block. I'll be mounting it on castors so that i can be moved around easily and even taken outside for parties on occasion.

Show Image Attachments
Image Attachments:

8 Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 10:09 AM

Looking good Happy.
Congrats. Not sure I’d like to move it around by myself though

Cheers
Captain

Last edited by The Captain (Wednesday, January 31, 2018 10:09 AM)