1 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 8:03 AM

My wife got me a beer kit for Christmas and don't want to mention the name but it has a 2 gallon plastic keg with it. Not I did the first step and it is in the keg fermenting. So I wanted to be one step ahead and get more LME so when it is finished in the keg and goes to bottling. Well to my surprise the extract doesn't seem to be available but I can get it from the U.S. but with the shipping and exchange rate it is very expensive. So I went out a bought a COOPERS ALE but no kit. Is there anything different to making this batch other than I know it will make 5 gallons instead of 2.

Thanks Greg

2 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 9:39 AM

I assume you're talking about the Mr Beer kit? (I'm not worried about mentioning names, and knowing that helps provide some support!). And where are you located?

You have two options if that's the case, which might be variable in usefulness depending on where you are:

1. Purchase the craft cans from the coopers website store. They are exactly the same as the Mr Beer cans.

2. Use the full size cans (which I believe is what you're referring to as the Coopers Ale). You can do this in a couple of ways: One, dump the entire contents of the can into your fermenter and brew to two gallons, but be warned - this can result in a higher bitterness depending on the kit. Or two, use half the can with half a kilo of light dry malt, brew enhancer, or sugar if you've got no other choice. Likewise, brew to two gallons.

If you do a search through the forums here around the Craft kit, you'll see plenty of people doing creative things with theirs. While the Australian craft kit looks different from the Mr Beer kit, I understand it's essentially the same thing.

3 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 9:41 AM

Hey Greg, welcome to the forum!

What brand beer kit did your wife buy you? What country are you in? Are you talking US Gallons or Imp Gallons? You are likely to get more responses to your posts if you can speak in litres.

You said you bought a Coopers Ale, I'm guessing Coopers Real Ale Brew can, but in your subject heading you mention Coopers Lager - so which did you buy or did you buy both? Have a look at our online store for more info about our products.

edit: beaten again

4 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 11:55 AM

I live in Thorold On Canada. It appears to what I have been able to find out so far is that the Mr. Beer refill is not readily available in Canada. That is why I decided to switch to Coopers Lager extract. I think that maybe I can just brew up the five gallons that the Lager makes and put it into to pails and kick the 2 gallon plastic keg to the curb. LOL. Thanks for all the advise. Would not recommend MR. Beer if you live in Canada, if you do it will cost you plenty if you have to bring the extract from the U.S.

Greg

5 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 12:14 PM

No need to throw it out! A little bit of creativity and lateral thinking and you can still brew perfectly well using the little fermenter without having to resort to the Mr Beer cans.

Some info here about using the larger cans in the small FV: https://club.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/17331/

Info here on moving into all grain with the small FV (which is also easy because the volume is small enough that you can do a stovetop brew!): https://club.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/16469/

And if you can get hold of light dry malt (LDM), as I mentioned before, just use half the can (store the remaining half in a sanitised container in the fridge) with 500g of LDM and the brew will be pretty much exactly as it should be.

I bought my small fermenter a year ago now. Only used about 4 Mr Beer cans in the early days, and the rest of the 23 brews so far have used other approaches and all have been more than satisfactory.

6 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 11:10 PM

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

7 Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 11:05 AM

Hello fellow Canadian. I used to live in Ontario, but I live in New Brunswick now.

I'd hang on to that Mr Beer kit. They are perfect for doing experimental brews. Wish I had one.

If you can't get refills, you could do full extract brewing, meaning DIY bittering instead of relying on a kit. It does take longer, but you have more control. Alternatively, you could do small all grain batches, if you can get grains locally. If you are lucky, your kitchen stove might be powerful enough to handle a batch that size, so you can even make all grain batches in winter.

Cheers,

Christina.

8 Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 1:32 PM

Thanks for the heads up and hello from St Catharines.

Greg

Last edited by Werwer2018 (Saturday, January 13, 2018 1:32 PM)