1 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 3:52 AM

G'd day fellas,
I've justr started the first Coopers Australian Pale Ale after just finding a supplier in Europe. I did a couple of Belgian kits, Brewferm, which turned out OK.
In the instructions for these kits it suggested syphoning off the beer after fermentation and leaving it in another bucket for a week to clear. I did do so and when I went to bottle it it was nice and clear. I also managed to get some fermentation in the bottle with the addition of diluted sugar to the now clear beer. It is quite a good way to make sure you don't end up with swamp water when you pour it.
I am not sure that if I leave it for an extra week after fermentation to clear there will still be some yeast to get the second fermentation in the bottle or am I risking flat, sweet beer because the yeast has all gone ?
Thanks !

2 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 6:57 AM

Nothing to worry about. There will still be plenty of active yeast floating about to get the job of carbonation done.

Most brewers actually don't bother with using a secondary for clearing, but rather just leave it in the primary fermenter for that additional time. Your beer will actually clear up quite nicely in the bottle either way so, beyond an initial few days where other beneficial things happen, the only real benefit from leaving it to clear for a while longer in either primary or secondary is that less yeast ends up in the bottles. I personally don't worry about this too much myself as I pour my beers carefully into a serving jug first so it makes no difference to me whether there's a 1mm or 4mm layer of yeast at the bottom of the bottle.

3 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 7:07 AM

I have left beer in the fermenter at close to 0C for weeks (even partially frozen it once) and their was still enough yeast to carbonate the beer. You will be fine.

Last edited by Hairy (Friday, January 12, 2018 7:07 AM)