1 Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 3:40 PM

G'd day guys,

Just a bit of a begginers question. I noticed that the Brew cans that are Original or International series are recommended to be used with Brew Enhancers and Thomas Cooper series are recommender to be used with Malt extract (either Dry or Liquid).

Can i just ask what is the reasoning behind it? My next Brew will for sure be Thomas Cooper series (either IPA or Pilsener). I am still new and it will be mine first Thomas Cooper series. What would you recommend will be best to put in. Shall i add Dextrose as well. I saw some cheap one i Woolies?

Thanks for advise

2 Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 7:25 PM

Keen to follow this! I've been using a LHBS kilo additive (MALTODEXTRIN, DEXTROSE, GRAIN AND HOPS)) as well as liquid Thomas coopers malts, now playing with extra hops and extra dextrose as well but haven't been recommended the drys yet?
I'm not sure how close to full grain I want to go as I'm time poor and the cans are a quick starter (will have to venture that way one day!)

3 Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 8:22 PM

At the moment i am not ecperienced enough to experiment with adding hops etc. Just want to use correctly the basic fermentables

4 Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 11:19 PM

You can put whatever you want in to it really. You can't really go wrong with 1kg light dry malt though, add 200-300g dextrose if you want to increase the ABV a bit.

Just bear in mind that the more malt, dextrose or whatever you add to the kit, the more yeast you'll need to successfully ferment the brew.

5 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 6:12 AM

If ill put 1 kg of Makt extract and a bit of dextrose will the yest provided with kit be enough?
Also i will do the craft series together in second FV. Which feementables shoulg i use with coopers craft series?

6 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 11:39 AM

I've just put an apa on with 1kilo of light malt extract and 150g dextrose (20L) was assured by the guru at LHBS that the kit yeast was more than enough for this,
I normally use us04 as well as I always add malt plus a dry kilo of enhancer but left the enhancer out to keep the beer simple and sessionable for the palate of the work lads ????
As for the fermentables for your recipe I'm not experienced enough to throw my hat in that ring but there's guys here that will know!!

7 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 11:49 AM

Thanks for the advice. Will stick with the Coopers yeast and see how i will go. I will not be adding that much so i am sure the yeast can bit its way through.

Regarding the craft kits i only used the brew can for the first time and wasnt really happy with the taste and would love to make sure the next batch is great

8 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 12:17 PM

Dewbrew are you using US-05 or S-04? They're two different types of yeast, one being American ale and the other English ale. There is no US-04.

Anyway, the kit yeast by itself will most likely ferment out a kit and kilo of malt and a bit of dex on its own but it's not “more than enough” yeast. In terms of recommended pitching rates it's not enough. It would be a good idea to re-hydrate it in warm water before pitching it too just to ensure the best survival rate (dry pitching can kill yeast cells, potentially up to 50% of them).

9 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 12:27 PM

S-04 sorry, i got so many varying bits of info I just went with the source I was buying it from (also a vet brewer) I've rehydrated this kit yeast as I wasn't adding any extra, is fermenting away nicely
Like I said Otto and others on here will know best!!!!

10 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 1:23 PM

IMO, any kit, whether from the Original Series or the International Series, with be better with 1kg of DME than with a Brew Enhancer.

As a general rule, if you add more than500gm DME (which is what comes in BE3), you ought to use more yeast than the 7gm of yeast that comes with the kit. That being said, Coopers dry yeast, which comes with all of the Original Series kits, and some of the International Series kits, is very vigorous and many brewers have successfully fermented 1kg DME (+ the kit) with it.

None of the Thomas Coopers kits come with Coopers yeast, they are all third party yeasts, but yet several of them call for adding 1kg of DME, and even 1.5kg DME. IMHO those kit yeast need both supplementation (more yeast) and rehydration.

If using S-04, or BRY-97, with a kit (1.7kg LME) and 1 kg DME, or 1.5kg LME, I'd use more yeast.

Cheers,

Christina.

11 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 1:35 PM

Thanks Christina, i am planning to use a kg of DME with Pilsner Thomas Cooper as is recommended. I am guessing that the yeast should be enough

12 Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 6:35 AM

Tommy:

Thanks Christina, i am planning to use a kg of DME with Pilsner Thomas Cooper as is recommended. I am guessing that the yeast should be enough

It comes with a lager yeast so it's even more of an underpitch than brewing an ale would be. You'd be well advised to go out and buy a pack of W34/70 to go with it, and re-hydrate both yeasts before pitching. Lagers are usually fermented at around 10-12 degrees C, do you have the capacity to keep the temperature down there?

13 Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 6:58 AM

No i dont. Last time i was able to keep the temperature at 20. Should i not attempt Pilsener? Because what i wanted to use was pretty much what is recommended.

14 Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 11:04 AM

Dang. Well you can ferment it at 20 but the results might not be as nice as if it was fermented at 10-12. Your call

15 Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 2:35 PM

What would be a good alterbative to brew if i am able to keep the temparature around 20. I like more of Lager and Pils styles of beers. Dont want to do ale as i will do the IPA in the second fermenter..

16 Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 4:41 PM

Ferment your pils at 20C and let us know how it goes. I bet it will taste perfectly fine. Don't be put off making a pils if you can't keep it at 10 or 12 degrees! The longer you can leave it after bottling the better it will taste, so don't drink it in top much of a rush.

Cheers,

John

17 Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 6:32 PM

Will try my best

Last edited by Tommy (Monday, January 15, 2018 6:32 PM)