1 Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 1:37 PM

Hi. Was wanting to make a xxxx bitter clone. And recipes you got would be great, also need to know best temperature to ferment at. Thanks Rick

2 Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 1:40 PM

I made one last year, it was an all grain recipe though. What's your method of brewing?

3 Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 6:21 PM

Sorry haven't progressed to all grain. Just extract, but i have got temperature control as do it in old fridge.thanks

4 Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 8:32 PM

Can you do a small boil on the stove? If so

2 tins of light malt extract
Steep in 65c water of 50 grams of roasted barley and 100gms of crystal malt
400 grams of table sugar
30gm of cluster and boil with about half a tin of extract and the sugar for 60 mins in about 5L of water.

Strain the boil and the steeped grains into your fermenter. Add the rest of the fermentables. Stir to mix in and top up with cold water to 21L. Ferment at 10c with Danish lager yeast (Thats the key)

Will get you close.

5 Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:17 PM

Thanks i will give it a go

6 Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 11:16 PM

I'd do that but leave the sugar out of the boil until about 10 minutes to go. 50g roasted barley will make it too dark, use about 10g, crystal addition is up to you but I didn't use any in mine. I used raw sugar in mine, and dissolved it in water before adding to the boil; I used 500g but I was making 25L so stick with 400g. I also threw in a later addition of Cluster with about 10 minutes left in the boil as well. Danish lager yeast @ 10C which you'll most likely need to build a starter for; I did a side by side test with a real one when mine was on tap and it wasn't far off, mine probably had a touch more flavor.

7 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 7:55 AM

XXXX will only have one basic australian made pale base malt & cane sugar

i would not expect any specialty malts at all, theres not alot going on with this basic lager so keep it simple

Last edited by Waylon (Friday, January 12, 2018 7:55 AM)