1 Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2018 10:45 PM

Hey guys,

About to attempt my 3rd brew. I wanted to loosely base it around Gash Slug's hoppy pale ale recipe on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7iqgerF748&t=700s

However I will be substituting the amarillo for mosaic.
I've got the below ingredients at my disposal:

1 x Coopers APA tin
1 x BE2
1kg LDM
250g Caramalt grains
50g Cascade Hops
100g Centennial Hops
100g Mosaic Hops
1 packet (11g) US-05 yeast

I've got IanH spreadsheet but I still haven't completely gotten my head around it, plus there's no option for Mosaic hops in there that I can find, hence I've hit a wall using it.

I bought Centennial as Cascade was out of stock at my LHBS and they recommended Centennial as a good alternative. The 50g Cascade I've got is a leftover from the last brew. I've bought these hops as they're used in the Pirate Life Pale Ale so I'd like to get something sort of similar.

Can someone suggest a recipe for me? Just not sure on boil volumes etc as I'm not 100% up to speed using IanH spreadhseet yet. I was thinking a steep of the caramalt for 30 mins, boil that with 500g LDM for 20 mins with a 15 min addition of all 3 hops and either a smaller 5 min or flameout addtion of all 3 hops. Top up to 21 litres, pitching re-hydrated US-05 at about 20-21 degrees with a dry hop about 4-5 days prior to bottling.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks.

2 Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 1:16 AM

Im slowly getting my head around the spreadsheet, but doesnt the spreadsheet have a brewday tab telling you what to boil etc once you have chosen the ingredients

3 Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 6:28 AM

Hey karlos

I don't think that even the hoppiest hop head on here is going to use 250g of hops with the Coopers Pale kit.

Perhaps you could post what your favourite commercial craft beer is and we could go from there?

Cracking and steeping 250g of Caramalt in themed 60 debrees for 30 minutes is a good idea.
If you have a pot that can hold 5 -10 litres then use that by adding your LDM to you Caramalt wort, start of steeping in about a litre and then rinse the grains with another litre and make the volume up.
I'm thinking of 25g of Centennial at 15 minutes.
I'd then add 25g each of Cascade and Amarillo at 5 minutes.
Proceed to make the brew up as normal.
On day 5 or 6 add another 25g each Cascade and Amarillo as a dry hop.

I reckon that will be plenty hoppy enough.

Cheers & Beers
Scottie
Valley Brew

4 Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 10:28 AM

Hi Scotty,

It was never my intention to use all 250 g worth of those hops listed. Those are just the ingredients I have at my disposal.

I'd like to brew something similar to a Pirate Life Pale Ale. The last couple brews I've made have had a bit of a hop flavour, but the bitterness was more dominant, and not the good kind of bitterness you'd get from the hop flavour like in the PL beers.

I was given a similar hop schedule by Gash Slug after he posted a reply to his video. He suggested steep in 2lt, rinse with another litre, (total 3L). Then 15g Mosaic and 20g cascade for 10mins, 15g Mosaic and 15g Centennial for 1 min, Dry hop with 30g Cascade, 30g Mosaic.

Would your 20 minute and 5 minute boil/addition be a better option?

Thanks for the reply too, cheers.

5 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 8:52 AM

Hey Karlos

Thanks for the clarification. I have brewed a perfect clone of the Pirate Life Pale Ale so I should be able to help you with your hop schedule. It is too bad that you couldn't get more Cascade as it goes well with the Mosaic and Centennial although a substitute it isn't exactly the same so I don't know how the Dry Hop will differ. I have to go on record here that the bitter grapefruit that Cascade throws off in a 20 minute boil is my absolute favourite hop characteristic, so I hope you like it as well.

Before I post the hop schedule I am interested in what you bitter (dominant) beers were and how you got them to be bitter. To me the PL Pale Ale is quite bitter, 50 IBU on the web site, and the hop flavour blends in rather than jump out of the can like the Pirate Life IPAs. It took me two six packs(over a month) to actually appreciate the Pale.

The hop schedule that I give you won't give you a beer as bitter as the PL when using the Pale Ale kit, however I reckon its a good place to start and if you find you want a more bitter brew you can add an earlier hop boil in your next attempt.

Scotties PL Pale hop schedule
Steep grains as per Gash Slug's suggestion, make volume up to 10 litres and add LDM and bring to boil.

20g Cascade boiled for 20 minutes
15g Mosaic boiled for 20 minutes
10g Cascade boiled for 8 minutes
10g Mosaic boiled for 5 minutes
20g Cascade added at flameout (turn the heat off) and steeped for 20 - 25 minutes
15g Mosaic added at flameout (same as above)
15g Centennial (should be Cascade) Dry Hopped for 5 days (add after Krausen drops out)
10g Mosaic Dry Hopped for 5 days (add with Centennial)

US05 yeast
Use 1 kg of Light Dry Malt and make brew to 20 litres.
If you want more beer make to 23 litres and add 400g of BE2 as well as the LDM.

Cheers & Beers
Scottie
Valley Brew

6 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 12:53 PM

Scotty thanks for posting that. I'll have to keep this handy for the next brew, as yesterday was the only chance I had this week to get a brew down so ended up going with the recipe Gash suggested.

The previous brews which were “too bitter” were a TC IPA with just a dry hop of Galaxy, and secondly, a recipe I made up from the lager tin with some steeped caramalt, 20 min galaxy/citra/cascade boil and dry hop of the same, using LDM and BE1 (just to get rid of it) and US-05.

To say they were too bitter is probably a bit misleading. What I mean is that the bitterness in both brews were more present and evident than the hop flavour/aroma (which is what I was trying to achieve). Both brews were still nice and drinkable, but albeit a bit disappointing as the bitterness was more dominant than any hop flavour.

I'm a big fan of both the PL Pale and IPA and really enjoy how the hop flavour and bitterness are sort of gelled together. That's essentially what I'm trying to replicate in my brews as its too expensive to fork out $80 - $100 a carton.

With your clone recipe, I'm assuming it is an all grain? Or can it be used with the Coopers APA tin and a steep of caramalt or some other more suitable grain? I reckon I've seen your thread on here somewhere.

Can you clarify a couple things about your suggested hop schedule please:

I'm assuming this is to go with the Coopers APA tin, with a total of 1kg LDM (500g used for the 20 min boil, the remaining 500g mixed in the FV with the tin?) Am I assuming correctly or is something else required?

Is it crucial to top up the steeped wort to 10 ltrs prior to doing the boil? My pot is only about 9 ltrs and I usually boil about 4-5 ltrs instead.

Thanks again for your help/advice. Still new to all this as I've only done 3 brews now. Cheers.

7 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 4:59 PM

karlos_1984:

….. snipped

With your clone recipe, I'm assuming it is an all grain? Or can it be used with the Coopers APA tin and a steep of caramalt or some other more suitable grain? I reckon I've seen your thread on here somewhere.

Can you clarify a couple things about your suggested hop schedule please:

I'm assuming this is to go with the Coopers APA tin, with a total of 1kg LDM (500g used for the 20 min boil, the remaining 500g mixed in the FV with the tin?) Am I assuming correctly or is something else required?

Is it crucial to top up the steeped wort to 10 ltrs prior to doing the boil? My pot is only about 9 ltrs and I usually boil about 4-5 ltrs instead.

Thanks again for your help/advice. Still new to all this as I've only done 3 brews now. Cheers.

Hey Karlos

Yes my recipe was all grain. However that hop schedule will work with the Coopers APA kit, 1k of LDM and steeped specialty grains.

A 5 litre boil will be fine, it will reduce the bitterness slightly but shouldn't affect the hoppiness too much.

Your doing pretty well after 3 brews

Cheers & Beers
Scottie
Valley Brew

8 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 7:11 PM

Went searching for your AG recipe after reading this. I think I will try it out as an extract brew.

9 Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 8:14 PM

Beerinberra:

Went searching for your AG recipe after reading this. I think I will try it out as an extract brew.

Good Luck with it Beer

10 Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 1:49 AM

Scottie:

Your doing pretty well after 3 brews

Cheers & Beers
Scottie
Valley Brew

Thanks mate. Good to hear. Just wish I had room for a spare fridge for temp control I'd be laughing

11 Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 12:25 PM

Scottie, I used 300g Centennial with the Coopers Amber Ale kit (75g @5mins, 75g @flameout and 150g dry hopped). It was really good!

Cheers,

John

12 Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 12:46 PM

Well John

I'll have to stand corrected, I'm just not that hoppy a hop head.

I checked my BeerSmith and Brew Mate recipes just now and the most hop pellets I have used is 145g and that includes bittering.

I did used 225g once when I made a wet hop brew with home grown Cascade Flowers but that doesn't really count when you factor in the moisture content.

Cheers & Beers
Scottie
Valley Brew

Last edited by Scottie (Saturday, January 13, 2018 12:46 PM)

Show Image Attachments
Image Attachments: