1 Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 10:10 PM

Alright you all grainers out there. I have limited lager experience but I am after a nice a simple lager recipe for a beer I can drink on a nice hot day.
I have a fermentation fridge so fermenting and lagering at low temperatures is not an issue.

Youngie

2 Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:02 AM

First of all calculate and make a starter and ferment @ 10-12 degrees

Show case the clean lager fermentation and malt combo without over powering the hop additions

Simple Vienna lager

23 litre Vienna lager
5.5 kg Vienna Malt
15g magnum @ 60min
30g sazz @ 10min

Second option sub vienna for
4 kg pilsner malt
1.5 kg light munich malt

3 Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:21 AM

Hi there Youngie

I recommend you start off with a basic pilsner to test out your lager brewing and fermentation skills. A popular one on here is the old Bohemiam Pils. Kelsey brews it regularly and I think there is a thread on here, if not it will be in Brewday thread (possibly under Bo Pils). I recently did a German Pilsner because I didn't have any Saaz. I used Tettnanger hops and it turned our great!

Someone here recommended fermentation at 10C and use a yeast pitch calculator to make sure you pitch enough healthy yeast. I pitch at 10C, so I need A LOT of yeast that I build up in a starter to 400bn cells for 23L. The yeast I had success with was S-23. W34/70 is very popular also. Yet to try S-189 or any of the liquid strains.

Read up about it, ferment at 10C, raise to 18C after 6 days (or 50% attenuation) for a diacetyl rest, hold it there for a while until it reaches FG, then cold crash for 2 weeks. It's the brulosophy fast lager method. Then I bottle.

Give it a go, I am really enjoying the rewards of a good lager. There is nothing to hide behind, so flaws in brewing and fermentation will be obvious. I am much liking these “new world” lagers, so an NZ pilsner is on the list. Hopped early and late with Riwaka as I have 250gm of it. Start with a basic pilsner or euro lager, and then try other recipes once you have nailed the basic ones.

4 Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:31 AM

I'd post my pilsner recipe but the stupid site won't let me log in on the computer.

I wouldn't recommend calculating a starter until you decide on a recipe and get an approximate OG and batch volume though.

5 Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:21 PM

I have made a couple lagers and my last was a pilsner. It was a 10L batch and I used 1 packet of 34/70 and despite finishing at 1.005 it seemed a little sweet.
Recipe was 100% pilsner malt. OG was 1.043 and it was bittered to 35 IBUs with saaz.

I am yet to play with liquid yeast and unfortunately I won’t be able to make a starter this time so rehydrating a couple packets of 34/70 will be the best I can do.
Usually I like to do things the best that I can but unfortunately my job doesn’t stop over Christmas and I am packing to move in a few weeks.

I am thinking of a batch size of around 20 litres and will have an OG of about 1.040’s to have it around 4%-4.5%

Youngie

6 Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 8:53 PM

If you try 100% vienna with the lower IBUs say around 27 IBUs thats a good balance to let the veinna malt show its flavour

vienna is a great single malt to use in a mash or you can

Liquid yeast use WLP830 or if dry go 34/70 both is good yeast, WLP830 would be my choice yeast

7 Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 1:50 PM

I don't think he wants the beer sweeter….

If you search for Bohemian pilsner, my thread should come.up, I have tinkered with the recipe over the past couple of years but basically I use pilsner malt, a little melanoidin malt and acidulated malt to around 1.048-50 OG. Mash is a hochkurz schedule: 63°C for 35-40 mins, 72°C for 30 mins then mashout and proceed as normal. Alternatively you could just use a single infusion mash at about 66-67°C.

Saaz additions at FWH, 80 minutes, 15 minutes, and flameout to about 43-45 IBU. Turns out nicely balanced. Water is very soft (distilled with minerals added back), which produces a lovely smooth bitterness, so despite the high IBU figure it doesn't taste over bittered.

If the site would let me login on the PC I could post the full recipe, but so far still no luck

8 Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 1:56 AM

Otto Von Blotto:

I'd post my pilsner recipe but the stupid site won't let me log in on the computer.

login to the store then go to the forum

9 Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 9:39 AM

CaffeinatedSentryGnome:

Otto Von Blotto:

login to the store then go to the forum

A pain in the arse but it did work and I'm back online on the computer. Thanks mate! Now I'll just find my most recent pilsner recipe and report back…

10 Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 9:46 AM

OVB, can you see your way clear to update your FB post?!

Next time this happens, give the store a yell and they'll help you out.
store@coopers.com.au

11 Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 9:59 AM

Yeah all good. It's still happening now, I was only able to access the forum via the store, not the usual login button at the top of the page. Not sure why it's happening, it only started doing this a couple of days ago.

Youngie, I've found my most recent pilsner recipe, it's for a 21 litre batch. Note that the hop amounts will vary with AA%.

21 litre batch, based on 75% brewhouse efficiency. Estimated mash efficiency 89.3%.

Water and Treatment
33L distilled water
0.44 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
0.40 g Chalk (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -
0.34 g Baking Soda (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -
0.32 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 5 -

Grains
4.000 kg Bohemian Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 6 94.0 %
0.150 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 7 3.5 %
0.100 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 8 2.3 %
0.006 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 9 0.2 %
Hochkurz mash schedule: 63C for 40 minutes, 72C for 20 minutes, 78C mash out.

Hops
40.00 g Saaz {3.80 %} - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 10 20.2 IBUs
25.00 g Saaz {3.80 %} - Boil 80.0 min Hop 11 11.3 IBUs
35.00 g Saaz {3.80 %} - Boil 15.0 min Hop 12 7.5 IBUs
30.00 g Saaz {3.80 %} - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 13 3.2 IBUs
90 minute boil

Yeast
Wyeast 2000 Budvar Lager. Ferment using usual lager schedule, starting at 10C and raising to 18C after 5-6 days. After 14 days drop to 0C for two weeks.

The Stats
Est Original Gravity: 1.0477 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.0080 SG*
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Bitterness: 42.2 IBUs
Est Color: 9.3 EBC

That particular recipe has been in a keg for the last 4 weeks or so and will be going into the kegerator later today once I remove my ham, to be chilled and carbonated for Xmas day. It should be a cracker.

*They don't get down this low usually, it's a gremlin in Beersmith when using that mash schedule. Usually I find the FG is about 1.010-1.012.

Cheers

Kelsey

12 Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 6:30 PM

Thanks Waylon but I might have a go at Kelsey’s recipe for now.
I’ll get some ingredients and report back and let everyone know how things are going.
Thanks for everyone’s feedback!!

Youngie

13 Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 12:26 PM

Good luck with the pilsner mate,
Kelseys recipe looks great but keep in mind only treat water as it needs to be treated!

All water needs different treatment QLD S.A VIC they are way different.

VIC water is great for pilsners and needs next to no treatment for this style
Every water is different as is every style

14 Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 1:28 PM

That's why I use distilled water and add back the small amounts of minerals. The tap water here is too hard for pilsners; I did brew a batch with untreated tap water to compare, and it wasn't as nice. When I first began brewing these pilsners I played around with diluting the tap water with distilled water and found that it pretty much needed to be about 95% distilled water anyway to achieve close to the desired profile. Because of that, I figured I might as well just make it 100% distilled and add back minerals.

If I was brewing with Melbourne tap water I suspect I wouldn't be treating it at all other than potassium metabisulphite for chlorine/chloramines.

Last edited by Otto Von Blotto (Thursday, January 11, 2018 1:28 PM)