1 Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 4:46 PM

I've recently started using hop canisters and a hop spider that have similar mesh on them and … I think I'm getting less hop flavour and aroma because of it.

So, thinking about the hop spider first, that should be easy enough to do without. Any hops I throw in during the boil ought to settle in the bottom of my urn after whirlpool I always strain into the fermenter to oxygenate the wort too so that will remove any last bits. Easy.

The dry hops is a little trickier. I have the means to cold-crash now, but I don't reeeally want to. Maybe I could find a way to filter without oxygenating the wort on bottling day. In fact … my hop spider could actually be used for that since it's quite large! The first little squirt might get a bit of oxygen, but I think that would be all. Hmmmmmm …

2 Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 5:54 AM

Hey KR, how come you don't want to cold crash? I dry hop commando and with cold crashing they settle out really well. I don't get any hop debris in my bottles doing it this way.

3 Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 6:29 AM

Yeah KR, not sure why you prefer not to cold crash. For me its standard procedure (1 week at 0ÂșC) whether I dry hop or not. I don't use any spiders in my boil process either. The only time I strain hops is when keg hopping. If I prefer a really hoppy beer then that is what I do these days as it really packs a punch hop wise. Rather than having a keg sitting around for a month sometimes and the hop influence deteriorating, I simply keg hop using a hop canister, a couple of days prior to starting on the keg.

4 Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 10:38 AM

I just got my Tea Strainers in the mail from China yesterday after a long wait - This post has devastated me lol

5 Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 11:59 AM

I often have two brews at different stages of fermentation in my fridge, so that's why I don't want to rely on cold-crashing.

Fergy - tea strainers are quite ok I think. It's these new canisters with a very fine mesh that I'm a bit suspicious about.

6 Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 12:18 PM

I wonder if you should do some ‘science’ before making any rash decisions based on a hunch?

I think I'm getting less hop flavour and aroma because of it.

If your spider is packed full of compacted hop mush then it could be an issue. I have a couple of those larger Chinese ‘tea strainers’ that Fergy mentions and I find if I put 50g of pellets in those the hop pulp swells and compacts up pretty firmly and I suspect that is likely a problem. In contrast, with just 25g of pellets there's still plenty of looseness in the pulp for the wort to circulate through.

Even though it's a fine mesh… to water or more particularly wort it's still probably very ‘transparent’.

7 Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 12:19 PM

Ahh, yes that makes sense. That's the reason I don't have two batches fermenting in the fridge with overlapping schedules lol

8 Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 12:48 PM

When people use the tea strainers do they just bottle with them in the FV, or fish them out first?

9 Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 1:01 PM

Beerinberra:

When people use the tea strainers do they just bottle with them in the FV, or fish them out first?

I plan to just chuck them in with like 3-4 days to go and then bottle with them in….fish them out once bottled.

10 Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 1:09 PM

Fergy1987:

Beerinberra:

I plan to just chuck them in with like 3-4 days to go and then bottle with them in….fish them out once bottled.

Ditto.

11 Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 2:16 PM

Fish them out once the fermenter is empty for sure, they're a lot easier to find when there's no beer in there .

I have the tea strainers too and I haven't noticed any difference in the hop aroma from using them or not using them, the trick is to just not put too much weight of hops in them so they have plenty of room to expand and not get squashed. The big difference I have noticed is that the beer is clearer and free of hop matter, which isn't really an issue with bottles but it can block keg set ups.

Even when I had over 300g of Saaz in my hop spider in the urn it didn't affect it, still turned out the same as the batches with half that amount in there. I reckon they are open enough to allow free passage of wort through them.

12 Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 3:07 PM

Not meaning to hijack the thread but just out of curiosity with the tea strainers - do you need to boil them every brew before use?

I was thinking boil them initially before first use and then starsan - but after that chuck give them a clean after bottling, chuck them in the fermenter with the sodium perc and starsan before using again.

13 Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 10:51 PM

King Ruddager:

I've recently started using hop canisters and a hop spider that have similar mesh on them and … I think I'm getting less hop flavour and aroma because of it.

I don't know KR - I really doubt it would be a noticeable difference. The hops are still in the wort / beer, so oil extraction is happening. What makes you think you are getting less hop flavour and aroma? If it's based on memory, then I'd be dubious …

John

14 Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 10:59 PM

Fergy1987:

Not meaning to hijack the thread but just out of curiosity with the tea strainers - do you need to boil them every brew before use?

I was thinking boil them initially before first use and then starsan - but after that chuck give them a clean after bottling, chuck them in the fermenter with the sodium perc and starsan before using again.

I guess that would be fine… I was just planning to boil them every time. Seems easier.

15 Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 4:37 AM

King Ruddager:

I often have two brews at different stages of fermentation in my fridge, so that's why I don't want to rely on cold-crashing.

Fergy - tea strainers are quite ok I think. It's these new canisters with a very fine mesh that I'm a bit suspicious about.

KR - I likewise run 2 brews in the one fridge but brew both on the same day. This solves the issue with different stages and cold crashing. As for the fine mesh on the canisters I can assure you they don't impede hop utilisation in any way, well not in my case. 60 grams of hops in a canister placed in a keg and you have a great little hop bomb.

16 Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 2:32 PM

I boil the tea strainers every time I use them rather than use Starsan. Either way is probably no more difficult than the other though.

17 Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 2:30 PM

I boil them to sanitise too FWIW

18 Posted: Wednesday, January 03, 2018 9:13 AM

If I commando 40gms hops into my APA batch prior to cold crash, does that then preclude me from harvesting 300/400gms of my Nottingham yeast cake due to the bits of hop in it?
I don't have anything other than a clean “chux” to dry hop and I didn't want the infection risk.

Cheers, Warthog

19 Posted: Wednesday, January 03, 2018 11:04 AM

Worthog:

If I commando 40gms hops into my APA batch prior to cold crash, does that then preclude me from harvesting 300/400gms of my Nottingham yeast cake due to the bits of hop in it?

It's another one of those things in the brewing world where there's disagreement. I've read of some who have thought up some potential problems with it and therefore don't recommend it. And then there's those that do it regularly it seems and report no issues what so ever, including commercial brewers, one who says: “…we have not had any infection due to dry hopped beers being pitched…
…We've been brewing our Elissa IPA for 11 years and haven't had an issue.”

One of the concerns raised was that of potential bacterial infection though I wonder about this myself given hops inherent anti-bacterial properties and the fact that they were used in high dosages in early IPA's specifically to act as a preservative.

20 Posted: Wednesday, January 03, 2018 3:22 PM

Ok, so the hoppy bits and pieces in the yeast cake, after I commando the hops and cold crash the batch, shouldn't cause infection, but can I harvest my yeast for the next batch with these bits mixed in?

Cheers, Warthog