1 Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 6:38 PM

Hi all,

My Belgian ‘Dubbel’ looks like it has finished at 1.008 - five days after pitching (from 1.065).
The colour is a fair bit lighter than what I had envisaged and was wondering if there was anyone who has tried to add steeped specialty grains during- post fermentation?
I thought I would steep another 100g of caramalt ( maybe a smidge of choc malt as well?) in 0.5 litres of water for 30 mins then boil the liquid with grains removed for 15 minutes, cool then put into the fermenter.
Would leave for a day or 2 before CCing.
Was thinking the risks are similar to doing a dry hop ??

If this is not advisable I will probably chalk it up to experience and change the name to Belgian Blonde!

Cheers

James

2 Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 8:33 PM

I'd leave it as a Blonde mate.

3 Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 11:05 PM

I'm thinking the same Ben.
Don't wanna become a self fulfilling prophecy, with all these thoughts of an infected brew!!
Might be tempting fate a bit, just to get a bit of extra colour.
The Belge tasted pretty good out of the fermenter, just wanted a bit more dark fruit etc, but I am getting sweet malts and a ‘woody’ (if that's the right word), Belgian yeasty flavour.
Mind you its still has a way to go yet.
Like all things in brewing time will tell.
I'm sure I will enjoy it at 7.5% ABV, it would be hard not too!!

Cheers

James

4 Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 6:04 AM

Yeah, I'd leave it alone too. Maybe next time use a darker crystal malt than caramalt

5 Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 6:10 AM

I've done it actually, very successfully. I once made a blonde ale that was split into two small fermenters, and half way through fermentation it occured to me I could have two beers. So I steeped some dark grains, boiled them and added the wort to the FV. It was one of the best stouts I've made, possibly the best.

6 Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 5:02 PM

Can't get it out of my head to add some extra grains to this brew..
Had a sample this morning and it feels like it's definitely missing something, maybe I am too used to IPAs and ESBs now?
I have cracked, steeped and boiled the grains for 5 minutes (50g each caramalt, cararye and choc), they are cooling in a covered pyrex jar in the fridge.
It will either work or it could be another post in the classic fail thread….

Cheers

James

Last edited by James Lao (Thursday, November 16, 2017 5:02 PM)