1 Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 1:29 PM

So as the warmer weather kicks into gear here, it seems more people are asking about Saison style beers…then as it cools down, people start talking stouts and dark beers.

I have tried 1 type of Saison and the yeast/phenolic flavours put me off a bit, but im willing to expand my beer tasting.

So does anyone have any suggestions for commercially available Saison that can point me in the right direction…

2 Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 1:41 PM

Chevalier Saison by Bridge Road Brewers. Stunning

3 Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 9:09 PM

Rowbrew:

Chevalier Saison by Bridge Road Brewers. Stunning

This is a great beer. You used to have to buy it in a champagne type bottle but I have seen them at Dans in 4 packs of 330ml bottles.

Saison DuPont is a nice drop too if you can find it.

4 Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 11:47 PM

I find brewing seasonally a lot of fun, and it is what people have done for thousands of years. The key is to use a yeast strain that produces good results at a temperature you can comfortable maintain (for me that means lagers in autumn and winter, American, German, Australian and English ales in autumn and spring and Belgian ales in summer. I like to use some sort of insulation to minimize the temperature swings during hot days and cold nights (eg a Cool Brewing Bag or a fermenter jacket).

Different Saison yeast strains will produce different results, some with more phenols and funk than others. I really liked Wyeast 3726PC. It also helps if you can keep the temperature down for the first couple of days of fermentation. I find my Cool Brewing Bag works great for this - load up the ice packs for a couple of days to let the yeast reproduce at a milder temperature, then ease up on the ice packs to let them loose for the bulk of fermentation).

Cheers,

John

5 Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 12:21 AM

Wild Beer Co. - Epic Saison

Loved it! The beer that got me interested in Saisons.

Coincidentally Hairy, it uses the Sorachi Ace hop you have planned for your next Saison venture.

Cheers,

Lusty.

6 Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 7:25 AM

the bridge road was the one i tried… might have to give it another crack

Last edited by RepSpec (Friday, November 17, 2017 7:25 AM)