1 Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 8:36 PM

Im looking for my first all grain recipe.

Its open ended because I dont know anything about my equipment other than its a keg almost ready for biab. Nothing set up in beersmith, no idea what I'm doing really.

But if anyone has a good enough rough enough recipe that would be adaptable to most equipment to make a 23l batch i would be appreciative.

I want something simple. Im into pale/golden ales, i really like stone and wood pacific ale if thats any help.

I have a couple hundred grams of galaxy and also have us05 yeast and about a kilo of gladfields light crystal.

Reason im asking for this is because I have a rare (for me anyway) opportunity to get the remaining ingredients without having to pay postage. I was gonna wait until i knew what i needed to set up my beersmith settings so it was a more streamlined process but beggars can't be choosers

Cheers

2 Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:22 PM

Smash!

Use 100% maris otter malt and however much you want of your favourite hops

3 Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:25 PM

Hi solidute

Do you have all the equipment for the foray into all grain? It was just over a year ago that I dipped my toes into the AG pool. My mate had a 50L pot and we bought a cube and no chilled.

I think a lot of people's first all-grain brew are either the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Dr Smurtos Golden Ale.

SNPA was my first and eventhough we scorched the wort by adding heat during the mash, it was still delicious at the time and our “best beer ever” when we cracked it open. A side-by-side tasting with a real SNPA revealed the flaws, but it was still extremely satisfying and miles above the kit and extract beers we had made.

I haven't brewed the AG version of DSGA, but by all accounts it is a winner.

If it is Stone & Wood that you love and since you have Galaxy hops on hand, perhaps you could brew Ben10's recipe (https://club.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/post/201475). I recently brewed this recipe, but mine was a magnificent failure because the hops I used were old and had not been stored properly in my freezer. It doesn't display any of the passionfruit aromas that Galaxy is famous for. I am determined to nail this beer as a summer quaffer and giveaway beer, so I suspect it will be on the cards on my next brew day. Just have to source 100g of super fresh 2017 Galaxy hops from my LHBS.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Jools

4 Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 6:30 AM

I don't understand the attraction of SMASH beers… I find them bland and uninteresting. 85% pale malt, 10% Munich malt and 5% medium crystal will give you a lovely base for any pale ale, you can make it hopped up like the Americans or turn it into an English bitter, or make some kind of ‘Pacific’ ale with the Aussie/NZ hops (because apparently that's a style now). Mash low for less malt influence and lower FG, mash higher for more maltiness and higher FG.

5 Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 6:51 AM

Cheers for suggestions. So far you guys have provided percentages but what would my total weight of grains be?
Is there a ratio for grain to wort eg if i want 23 litres at the end how much grain would i need? But if i scaled it up to want 27 litres at the end how would i work it out? Im pretty sure i could use beersmith for this but i dont know how to set up beersmith yet, yet alone scale recipes.

Joolbag
I am awaiting a 22mm hole to arrive in the mail and then i should be right to go with equipment. Have a 50l keg, gas burner, tap and fittings, mash paddle, cube, grain bag ready to go

Cheers

6 Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 7:27 AM

solidute:

Cheers for suggestions. So far you guys have provided percentages but what would my total weight of grains be?
Is there a ratio for grain to wort eg if i want 23 litres at the end how much grain would i need? But if i scaled it up to want 27 litres at the end how would i work it out? Im pretty sure i could use beersmith for this but i dont know how to set up beersmith yet, yet alone scale recipes.

You can design the entire recipe and process in Beersmith. It will give all the quantities, volumes and mash schedule you need to work with for a particular recipe. There's a bit of a learning curve no doubt so it may be worth your while following some online tutorials - check Youtube.

I don't brew AG myself, but basically a typical pale ale would require around 5kg of base malt plus specialty grains. If you use the simpler BIAB method then you'll need to mash in around 40-odd litres of water, that when drained should give you around 35litres which then, after a full boil will be down to around 27 litres. There'll be some loss to trub which should leave you with approx 23 litres of fermentable wort.

7 Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 12:06 PM

How do you mail a hole?

Yeah, your amounts of grain depend on a few factors really. Batch size is the obvious one, and also efficiency. As an example for 25L batches (APA) I usually use 4.5kg of pale malt, 500g of Munich and 300g of medium crystal*, giving me an OG of around 1.050 give or take a couple of points depending on my efficiency on the brew day itself.

I start with 36L of water and after squeezing the crap out of the bag usually am somehow left with 34-35L of wort. It boils off at around 3L per hour so over 75 minutes I'm sitting around 31L usually. Fills the cube pretty much to the top while leaving the trubby shit behind in the urn. Your initial starting volume of water will be determined mainly by your intended batch size, the trub loss and boil off rate.

Hopping for APAs I just do a couple of reasonable additions at 10 minutes left and flameout (about 30-40g each addition) and top up the IBUs with an early addition either at 60 minutes or first wort hop.

I'd suggest maybe brewing some tried and true recipes first to learn about the process and your system without worrying about also designing a recipe that will turn out.

*I also add 100g acidulated malt to drop the mash pH a little but this is optional, I wouldn't worry about it at this stage. Better to get familiar with the process and your system first.

Cheers

Kelsey

8 Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 12:22 PM

Everyone's setup is slightly different, so your grains and starting volume will depend on your efficiency and boil-off rate.

It's learning by doing, but I happen to aim for 27L batches and usually use 5.6kg of grains and start with 35L of strike water (no sparge).

9 Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 4:06 PM

Cheers.

Might just spend more time researching and trying to figure out beersmith

As for how to mail a hole… well just a spin on an old joke “need a few holes here here and there” “no worries I'll just pop down to the shop and grab a couple”

In my case a stainless steel holesaw is coming in the mail

Last edited by solidute (Wednesday, November 15, 2017 4:06 PM)