1 Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 3:23 PM

So i think i have found my next recipe to try…Tower 10 IPA…or a clone of it at least.

Id like to try and make it a session IPA or around 4.5-5.5%…7% is a bit too high for me!

Im thinking of using either the APA (yes i realise its an APA base, but its such a good base) or making an extract using one of the Coopers extract cans…however im not sure which can\cans to go with.

Heres a link to the beers tasting notes
https://www.karlstrauss.com/beer/tower-10-ipa/

I was going to try using BRY-97 west cost yeast as well to be similar to what they would use.

Hops to be used are cascade, chinnook and dry hopped with centennial.

Would i be best to use the APA base and some malt and then hop it to a schedule, or try 1 or 2 extract cans and hop?
Has anyone made anything similar?

2 Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 4:10 PM

This Craft recipe (Lookout IPA), might give you some ideas - it was was inspired by Tower 10 IPA.

3 Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 1:38 AM

+1 to PB2's suggestion. That is easily adaptable to your wants & needs.

On the other side of the ledger you mention you would like it around the 4.5 - 5.5% ABV mark. That is right in the hitting zone for Karl Strauss's Pintail Pale Ale. Have you tried that beer? It's one of my favourite commercial beers. I liked it that much I developed a rough clone that I was very pleased with. Linky

That too can be adapted to increase the bitterness & lower the crystal influence already around the right ABV.

Cheers & good luck with whatever you decide to brew.

Lusty.

4 Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 7:24 AM

thanks guys…
That looks like a great recipe Lusty…
Question…im not into mashing…whats the best way to steep the grains?
Ive steered away from grains at this stage…

5 Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 10:14 AM

Tower 10 is one of my favourite special occasion / research purposes IPAs.
Along with SN Torpedo and Ballast Point Sculpin.
I have been doing a CCCM IPA ( chinook, centennial, citra and mosaic) and I reckon it is a brilliant hop combo.
The recipe is on the brew day thread.
The 2 recipes already mentioned look delicious as well.
I have read a lot of bad things about BRY-97 yeast though, would probably go with US-05, but that has also been getting a few bad posts lately…?

Cheers

James

6 Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 10:37 AM

RepSpec:

Question…im not into mashing…whats the best way to steep the grains?
Ive steered away from grains at this stage…

If you wanted to mod my recipe closer toward the lighter Tower 10 IPA EBC & avoid mashing, then remove the medium crystal & briess 2-row, & sub with 600gms of light dry malt extract bringing the total amount of dry malt extract to 1.6kgs. Just steep a light cara-type grain in 2 litres of 65-70°C water for 30mins, then strain into your boil pot with 500gms of LDM (plus additional water) for the boil.

Easy.

Cheers,

Lusty.

7 Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 11:04 AM

Don't forget to crack the grains, if you didn't know already!
I usually put them in a big ziplock bag and run the rolling pin over them about 10 times.
For getting the temp on the water right I use 2/3 boiled water and 1/3 cool tap water will get you in the right temp range (info gained on this forum).
Steeping grains is dead easy and improves the brews I reckon, especially if your going for a hoppy brew, it can help balance the flavours out.

Cheers

James

Last edited by James Lao (Wednesday, November 15, 2017 11:04 AM)