1 Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 1:59 PM

Cluster hops are an old dual purpose American variety that has fallen out of favour. It was pretty much the only game in town at one time. They say that if you find hops growing abandoned, around old homesteads in North America, they are likely Cluster. I was just wondering if anyone has tried them, especially late hoping with them? What did you think?

Cheers,

Christina.

2 Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 2:31 PM

Cluster were used in XXXX Bitter - possibly still are.
I have used them in a knock off of the above mentioned lager and enjoyed it. No idea what it was like but do recall it was good.

3 Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 2:32 PM

Hi Christina.

It's fairly well known in Australia as being the hop used in XXXX.

It's not a “bomb” hop aromatically like some of the modern varieties, but does have some interesting attributes albeit somewhat subdued.

I found it to be floral with very light citrus & has a nice light spicy tone to it.

I did quite a few brews with it a while back & even used it in place of Perle in the well known SNPA recipe once as well as in the Coopers DIY Steam Beer recipe. Both turned out nice beers.

It's a bit of a “second-stringer” for me these days. If I can't get the hop I'm after with more forward attributes, I'll sub this in for it.

Just my 2 cents,

Lusty.

4 Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 3:28 PM

Thanks fellas!

I think I will give them a try.

Cheers,

Christina.

5 Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 6:52 PM

XXXX dont use cluster any more….

XXXX use the new abundant super pride that has out marketed POR now to cut costs

6 Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 6:30 AM

Waylon:

XXXX dont use cluster any more….

XXXX use the new abundant super pride that has out marketed POR now to cut costs

Uh, yeah they do. https://www.xxxx.com.au/our-beer/xxxx-bitter/

I too have used it in a fourex knockoff, and while I didn't notice any real floral notes, there was a light citrus to it.

7 Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 6:49 AM

I watched a documented tour from XXXX stating that cluster was no longer used and had been subbed for POR or super pride,

In all cases if you want to make a xxxx clone simple filter beer though a filthy old sock
This will make it as close to original

8 Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 12:05 PM

So they're claiming both then. They probably do use POR or Super Pride early in the boil but there's no reason why there couldn't be a small late Cluster addition as well and it seems odd that they'd list it on the website if it wasn't being used at all. They were still using it when I went on a tour there a few years ago.

I doubt that they've never changed the recipe though, obviously I wasn't around 50-60 years or more ago but a fair few people reckon it's gotten blander and it wouldn't surprise me if it has. Cost cutting and all that.

Last edited by Otto Von Blotto (Tuesday, November 14, 2017 12:05 PM)