1 Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 1:14 PM

Hi All,

I just tasted my first ever kit made with the Australian Pale Ale and it is very nice indeed.

I steeped 300g of crystal malt grain, did a small boil with DME + 15 grams Fuggles and 15 grams EK goldings hops at 10 Mins and same again at flame out. Then I dry hopped with 25 grams EK goldings too. Tastes like an English Bitter/mild… of sorts.

However, its got me wondering, am I only tasting Fuggles/EK goldings or am I tasting the hops inside the Aus Pale Ale Can Kit. I don't what hops are used inside the Cooppers Australian Pale Ale. Does anyone know?

I searched the coopers website and couldn't find anything except Bitterness : 340 IBU. Here is the link to the can I used.
http://store.coopers.com.au/australian-pale-ale-1-7kg.html

Also, on a side note, do they put Maltodextrin inside the can?

Cheers, Dan

2 Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 1:15 PM

It's just bittered with Pride of Ringwood, as far as I know that's all that is in the kit itself. And you're not likely to be tasting anything from it other than bitterness. Pretty sure they don't put maltodextrin into the kits either.

3 Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 1:17 PM

Pride of Ringwood but that may change with the hop not being grown anymore?
EKG and Fuggles for flavour - yes you will mainly taste that. There is flavour from the bittering additions but I find it is subdued.
Maltodextrin - no.

4 Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 1:48 PM

Ben 10:

Wonder if it is Super Pride?

Cheers,

Christina

5 Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 6:27 PM

No more POR? That is a surprise as they were the go to for bitterness here in Oz. Oh well, things move on.

6 Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 7:36 PM

Here's a few brews that reportedly use POR.

A traditional dark ale, Carlton Black has fruity flavour that complements the emphatic Pride of Ringwood hopping, making for a rich, easy to drink beer. The drum-roasted malt used in Carlton Black is the secret behind the beer’s distinct ruby tint, inviting mocha aroma and full-bodied flavour.

Redback is Australia’s original wheat beer, brewed from both malted wheat and malted barley, and a blend of Saaz and Pride of Ringwood Hops. Redback beer has a rich creamy mouth feel and a subtle bitterness on the palate.

Late hopping with Foster’s own unique Pride of Ring­wood hops gives Foster’s its crisp bitterness, in tandem with a subtle fruit ester aroma from our unique yeast imparts a complete sensual enjoyment.

Melbourne Bitter’s initial malty notes, fruity aroma and pleasant body are complimented by the assertive, lingering bitterness of Pride of Ringwood hops, appealing to those who prefer a more robust beer.

Crown Lager is Australia’s premium lager beer. It has a creamy fruitiness with a rich, malty mid-palate, bal­anced with the crisp, clean finish of Pride of Ringwood hops. Brewed from the finest malt and hops, using CUB’s original and unique strain of brewing yeast. Extended storage softens, and rounds out, the flavours produced during fermentation. www.crownlager.com.au

Coopers Mild Ale. Mild Ale is a mid-strength ale that delivers full-bodied flavour. A rewarding, sessionable brew, Mild Ale's smooth malt character is balanced by triple hopping with Pride of Ringwood and Saaz hops.

7 Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 7:59 PM

Thanks, for the info. So the can is a pretty clean tasting. A good way to brew pale ales without doing extract or all grain. I will defo be doing this again!

Why did they stop growing Pride of Ringwood?

Cheers, Dan

8 Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 8:19 PM

Ben 10:

EKG and Fuggles for flavour - yes you will mainly taste that. There is flavour from the bittering additions but I find it is subdued.
Maltodextrin - no.

Not grown anymore?
Says who? and why?

9 Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 6:19 AM

It's been going around for some time now that POR isn't being grown anymore, probably because it's been superseded by Super Pride which is essentially the same hop but with a higher AA%.

10 Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 3:50 PM

Ellerslie Australia still grow and supply PoR hop. We are the primary customer for this variety and Ellerslie are actively planting new hop fields to PoR each year. This may be due to the extra demand from us but also because plantings in other locations have been pulled out.

11 Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 7:25 PM

Good times Paul!

12 Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 12:33 PM

Otto Von Blotto:

It's been going around for some time now that POR isn't being grown anymore, probably because it's been superseded by Super Pride which is essentially the same hop but with a higher AA%.

OK, so this clears it up. I work by the philosphy “If it aint broken, then don't fix it. ” It seems Coopers do too!

13 Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 1:18 PM

Yeah I think the other big megaswill brewers have dropped it in favor of Super Pride, but obviously Coopers haven't, yet anyway, if it's still being grown by Ellerslie.

Last edited by Otto Von Blotto (Wednesday, November 15, 2017 1:18 PM)