1 Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 11:34 AM

Hi all,

Have just cracked open a Coopers Club French Saison, and must say I'm impressed (two weeks in the bottle).
I held the temp to 22C for this brew (I also used the second Coopers yeast as directed, so didn't want to push things too far.), but was amazed to see that Lallemand have the brew range listed all the way up to 35C!!!

I'm super keen to explore this yeast some more, I'm usually a 18C ferment and the hoppier the better kind of guy, but this tastes great, saves a small fortune on hops, and is so easy in terms of temp control.

Has anyone brewed a Saison nearer these max temps?
Any thundering headaches after a few (surely some fusel going on at those temps)?

Also wondered if anyone has tried the Lallemand Abbaye, as this also sounds great for a yeast powered flavour vehicle. Looking forward to a change in pace and flavour (not to mention saving on some of those hops!)

Cheers guys, and happy brewing to all

2 Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 11:49 AM

I ferment saisons in my shed on the bench. Temp in the bike shed easily gets to 35°c during that day, not sure what temp the brew gets too but it wouldn't be as high as that.
I've not experienced any issue.

3 Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 1:08 PM

Much like Ben, I brew Saisons at ambient temperatures.

I'll pitch the yeast at approx. 22-24°C & allow the yeast to do it's thing. My last Saison finished at around 27-28°C, & had a nice level of “funk” once in the glass.

I'm a bit low on brew stock atm so one of these is on the cards very soon to help me catch back up.

Cheers,

Lusty.

4 Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 6:31 PM

As above. I've brewed with Bell Saison at temps at least high 20's or a bit more. No problems, and in fact I had an Orange Blossom Saison get third in our local show. So doesn't seem to be a problem.

5 Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 11:33 AM

Much thanks for all the feedback gents, it's so great being able to get support and info here from brewer's who have been there and done that

This has got me thinking about a second fermenter, would be nice having two brews side by side without the hassle of a second temperature control setup. I should of tried Saisons ages ago, it might of saved me the cost of a fridge and temperature controller (although it's nice to have the option).

Thanks again!

PS Does anyone have any input on the Lallemand Abbaye yeast, temp range goes upto 25C, but I'm sure most people stick to the 18C-20C band? Loving these yeast driven flavours, makes a nice break from hop bombs!

Last edited by jdpug (Wednesday, November 15, 2017 11:33 AM)