1 Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 5 PM

Hi all - first brew with Coopers DYI Kit using the lager, currently on Day 8.

Started off with steady temps around 18 for 4-5 days, then sunny Melbourne weather has finally kicked in with temps about 21-22 for the last 2 days. FG hasnt moved from 1030 for a couple of days.

Should i wait longer due to the lower temps or is it stuffed?

Cheers,

Mike

2 Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 6:58 PM

Mike, welcome to our forum!

Has the brew changed in appearance over several days. What does it look like now? Did you note the Best Before date on the brew can?

What does the hydrometer read in water?

3 Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 7:13 PM

Hey PB2 thanks for responding!

Brew looks like beer haha - it does have a head on it when i test the FG but doesnt look to have changed in the past couple of days

Hydrometer in water doesnt seem to float so that looks to be working.

I didnt see the date on the brew can to be honest but it could be old, i was regifted this pack. will adding more yeast help?

4 Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 7:46 PM

A foamy sample is generally a sign that fermentation has occurred.

Can you see sediment in the bottom of the fermenting vessel and a tide mark on the wall just above the level of the brew.

The hydrometer should float in water and measure something around 1.000.

Here is a video showing how to use the hydrometer.

Does the beer taste sweet at all?

You will find more instructional videos here.

5 Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 7:41 AM

Hey yes there is a sweetness to the samples - is this a bad sign?

Looks to be some sediment at the bottom but nothing to significant.

6 Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 9:43 AM

If we work on the idea that the Brew Can was out of date and the yeast is mostly dead, then it's been many days with the brew sitting there with no yeast activity. This is an open invitation for spoilage organisms to become dominant.

I would toss this brew out, chalk it up to experience and make another brew. Make sure to buy ingredients well within Best Before date.

Oh, and watch those videos.

7 Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 10:26 AM

Started off with steady temps around 18 for 4-5 days, then sunny Melbourne weather has finally kicked in with temps about 21-22 for the last 2 days. FG hasn't moved from 1030 for a couple of days.

Doesn't sound like there's much going on, though an SG of 1.030 suggests some fermentation has occurred. It's been a week, and ordinarily should be done by now, but given the modest cost of a packet of yeast you could try pitching some fresh ale yeast - a packet it of say US-05 or Nottingham from your homebrew store. Ordinarily if the beer is partially fermented then this is not always advised but I suspect the alcohol level in the beer at the moment is currently very low so you should be OK, though it would certainly pay to rehydrate the yeast first. As PB2 suggests though “open invitation for spoilage organisms to become dominant” - your brew is quite vulnerable at the moment so it is a gamble.

Last edited by BlackSands (Monday, November 13, 2017 10:26 AM)