1 Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 11:50 AM

I usually pitch right away, but I have two worts around 30 degrees, if I pitch in a few hours, is that too risky?

Don't want to make my fridge work too hard either.

Cheers

JP

2 Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 2:28 PM

I'd just pitch it at 30 degrees and stick it in the fridge. It won't hurt the yeast. Better to have the fridge on for a bit longer than risk infections taking hold.

3 Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 8:18 AM

I think I ended up having them in the fridge for around an hour, before pitching at 25.

I should have just pitched right away like I did with the last batch.

4 Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 10:48 AM

Perhaps refrigerate some top up water the day before to help avoid this high temp problem prior to pitching your yeast.

I use about 5 litres worth on each brewday & haven't had a wort above about 23°C once everything is mixed together ready for pitching the yeast. For a lager I'll often double this amount to get my wort temperature down even further.

Cheers,

Lusty.

5 Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 11:07 AM

Beerlust:

Perhaps refrigerate some top up water the day before to help avoid this high temp problem prior to pitching your yeast.

I use about 5 litres worth on each brewday & haven't had a wort above about 23°C once everything is mixed together ready for pitching the yeast. For a lager I'll often double this amount to get my wort temperature down even further.

Cheers,

Lusty.

1+ this. I do this too. On occasions when I forget to put some in the fridge, or don't have room, I put my kettle in a sinkful of cold water with some ice packs. That gets the temp down very quickly; it is much faster than relying on air. We are talking minutes instead of hours.

Cheers,

Christina.

6 Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:41 PM

This is what I did, however, evidently I did not have enough, and it wasn't quite cold enough to reduce the temp to required levels.

Live and learn.

Cheers

JP

Last edited by ImaginativeName (Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:41 PM)