1 Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 9:45 AM

Hey!

I have some left over Amarillo, Enigma and Nelson Sauvin hops after making a Festive Funk from the coopers craft recipe's (with a Long Play IPA).

Any suggestions what to use some of the craft series brew cans to use my hops with? I only have a 10L fermenter so stuck with the craft selection.

Also, what is the advantage of adding dextrose to brews?

Cheers

2 Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 10:24 AM

Did you order a recipe kit? If so I'm surprised you have leftovers! If not … disregard

Anyway, what quantities are we looking at?

Dextrose can be used to boost the alcoholic content of a brew, but don't use too much or you might end up with a cidery after-taste!

3 Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 11:19 AM

I had nice results with the Bewitched amber, I think the light malt pouch and a bunch of cascade. I think you could make something tasty and full bodied with that. Haven't tried the long play but I've heard it's the best one of those kits.

I wouldn't add dextrose to one of the craft brew kits, if you can afford it you're better off using one of the craft pouches or failing that go get some LDM from woollies or something.

I'm no expert but it seems to me that Coopers only use dex to add alcohol to brews that are already intensely flavoured and with lots of hops. If you use it in more regular kit brews, especially without hops, it will probably ruin the taste. Although I did do a kit IPA with half dex/half LDM and it was quite nice after 2 months ageing. Found myself wishing I'd added hops though.

Last edited by Beervis (Friday, October 13, 2017 11:19 AM)