1 Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 12:27 PM

Hi all!!
I recently brewed a porter for mid next year (hopefully) and I was wondering about aging it. I never bottle but decided to bottle the porter so it wouldn’t take up precious keg space. Once it has carbonated what is the best temperature to age it?
Will the flavours differ from aging in a fridge on just on my shelf in the shed or will it make no difference at all?
Thanks,

Youngie

2 Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 1:24 PM

Hi Youngie. Storage temperature does make a difference. Beer will stale twice as fast at 30C as at 20C, and twice as fast at 40C as at 30C. If your shed gets up to 42C, your beer could be stale in a few days. On the other hand, it will stale half as fast at 10C as at 20C, and half as fast at 0C, as at 10C. BTW, beer does not freeze at 0C, because of the alcohol.

Hop bitterness will also decrease with time; I think it stops dropping at about the nine month point. I am not sure how temperature affects the drop. I would aim to keep the beer coolish, maybe in an air conditioned space?

If you plan to age for a long period of time, you might want to carbonate on the low side, or add a special bottling yeast at bottling time. Examples of bottling yeast are Danstar CBC-1 and Fermentis F-2, but you can also use Lalvin EC1118 champagne yeast.

Cheers,

Christina.

3 Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 2:03 PM

I've gotta brew up another one for next year as well, but I just put them in a keg. I only ever have 3 kegs on tap at any one time and usually one or more of them is empty in time to be filled with whatever's fermenting so I don't have the issue of running out of kegs to put beer in. I usually let it sit on gas for a day or so after kegging then store it somewhere cool.

The other advantage of it being in a keg is that it doesn't really need to be aged as long as it will condition faster than in bottles, so generally I brew these beers around Jan/Feb and they're great by the time they end up on a tap around June/July.

4 Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 2:20 PM

Thanks for the tips Christina. Looks like it is going inside as my shed gets pretty hot in summer. I did carbonate it on the lower side too.
I think I might just keg it next time Otto. It seems a bit easier to do. I am going to sample a bottle a month to see the difference in flavour. It is my first time making a porter so it may be hit or miss.

Thanks,

Youngie

5 Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 2:31 PM

Kegging is definitely easier, but you do need to have a keg that you can spare for the time it needs to age.

I reckon it will turn out fine though, it's a pretty hard style to stuff up really. My first go at an AG porter was a hit to the point that I never even changed the recipe

6 Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 3:16 PM

Otto Von Blotto:

Kegging is definitely easier, but you do need to have a keg that you can spare for the time it needs to age.

I reckon it will turn out fine though, it's a pretty hard style to stuff up really. My first go at an AG porter was a hit to the point that I never even changed the recipe

I have room for a 9.5L keg so it looks like a great excuse to get another!!!

7 Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 3:33 PM

I keep all my bottled beer inside my house, I have some stashed in the kitchen pantry, and some in our rather large bathroom cupboard.

I refuse to store it in my sheds, not worth the risk as far as I'm concerned, the temps get too high for my liking.

Next year, I'm kegging.

I'm quite happy with my results from extract brewing, so the purchase of kegging equipment will take priority over AG brewing equipment.

Cheers

JP

8 Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 3:41 PM

ImaginativeName:

I keep all my bottled beer inside my house, I have some stashed in the kitchen pantry, and some in our rather large bathroom cupboard.

I refuse to store it in my sheds, not worth the risk as far as I'm concerned, the temps get too high for my liking.

Next year, I'm kegging.

I'm quite happy with my results from extract brewing, so the purchase of kegging equipment will take priority over AG brewing equipment.

Cheers

JP

Getting my kegging setup done was one of the best things that I have done in my brew shed. You won’t regret it JP.

Youngie

Last edited by Youngie (Thursday, October 12, 2017 3:41 PM)