1 Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 11:07 AM

Just read somewhere 1g per litre.

I've ordered one packet which is 11g.

Should I order another packet for a full batch, or would it be ok to make a starter?

Ben, you should be all over this one.

Cheers

JP

2 Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 2:48 PM

G,day I have done three brews with Belle saison yeast which were extract with some steeped grains with a OG:1060 at 21L 2 off and a 1 at OG:1050 23L only used one pack 11g rehydrated hope this helps cheers Brian

Fg: 1010 on the first 2 the 3rd is still in but fg should be the same cheers

3 Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 5:42 PM

They turned out pretty good?

4 Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 7:28 PM

Belle will smash through anything.
One sachet is fine.

5 Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 7:48 PM

Glad to hear that, because I just pitched it.

Will be fermenting quite warm, so will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Cheers

JP

6 Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 1:46 PM

ImaginativeName:

They turned out pretty good?

Yer I really like the taste of Belle Saison hence the third brew of it this year

my brew was
1.5kg dry wheat malt
1.5kg cbw Pilsen light
.5kg inverted sugar
.5kg golden oats //simpson steeped 2hrs
also 1hr boil with
40g saaz
20g styrian goldings
5g black pepper corns
5g coriander
21 L
is your brew a extract or all grain my was loosely based on a all grain that I converted to extract

7 Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 1:48 PM

What temp you doing yours at JP I do mine a 22 c cheers

8 Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 2:50 PM

Coriander seed or leaf?

I'm keeping mine very simple, it's just a tin of Coopers APA, 1kg LDM, 250g wheat malt, Danstar Belle Saison yeast.

My wort ended up quite hot at around 32 because I didn't refrigerate any water, that's what I pitched at.

I put it in the laundry sink with cold water and a few ice packs, it got down to about 23 by this morning, looking quite active, I took it out of the sink and juts stick it in the corner of a room with a sheet over it, it's just under 25 this afternoon, and it's going to be what it's going to be.

Free balling it.

I don't mind if it gets warmer, I'm sure it will just be fruitier and spicier anyway, something different to what I've been doing.

I did a little bit of reading, and from what I gathered, it wouldn't make much sense to ferment cool.

Maybe I'm way off though?

Will find out.

Cheers

JP

9 Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 9:35 PM

ImaginativeName:

Coriander seed or leaf?

Seed.

32C? Let us know how phenolic it turns out.

Last year I had a Leffe Brune and a German wheat beer when I was in Europe and they made me want to gag. I ended up taking refuge in Dutch Mega Swill. Years ago I drank Chimay Red (Dubbel) when I was in Belgium, which I didn't seem to mind. I should try another.

Good luck with the brew.

Cheers,

Christina.

10 Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 11:13 PM

I think it will be ok, the temp was dropping pretty quick in the ice bath after pitching, it would have been down in the low 20's within a couple of hours.

11 Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 6:36 PM

ChristinaS1:

ImaginativeName:

Coriander seed or leaf?

Seed.

32C? Let us know how phenolic it turns out.

Last year I had a Leffe Brune and a German wheat beer when I was in Europe and they made me want to gag. I ended up taking refuge in Dutch Mega Swill. Years ago I drank Chimay Red (Dubbel) when I was in Belgium, which I didn't seem to mind. I should try another.

Good luck with the brew.

Cheers,

Christina.

Hi Christina ,
I guess german wheat for some is not good but I love it especially Bavarian . As for Leffe I can take it or leave it .My wife only came to Australia 10years Ago so we go to Europe heaps to see family.Chimay I love it also most Trappist beers I do love wheat I know a lot don't like it but I like all wheat German ,Usa ,Belgium etc etc. Saison I think is a taste either you love or hate but I really love it .The first time I drank it I thought woooooooooooo this has heaps going on. All my saisons and most brews are a wheat/Pilsen mix or wheat/blonde

12 Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 6:41 PM

ImaginativeName:

Coriander seed or leaf?

I'm keeping mine very simple, it's just a tin of Coopers APA, 1kg LDM, 250g wheat malt, Danstar Belle Saison yeast.

My wort ended up quite hot at around 32 because I didn't refrigerate any water, that's what I pitched at.

I put it in the laundry sink with cold water and a few ice packs, it got down to about 23 by this morning, looking quite active, I took it out of the sink and juts stick it in the corner of a room with a sheet over it, it's just under 25 this afternoon, and it's going to be what it's going to be.

Free balling it.

I don't mind if it gets warmer, I'm sure it will just be fruitier and spicier anyway, something different to what I've been doing.

I did a little bit of reading, and from what I gathered, it wouldn't make much sense to ferment cool.

Maybe I'm way off though?

Will find out.

Cheers

JP

Coriander Seed and I have let it get as high as 24 and was fine saison I love but it takes a good mouth full to get all the different tastes IMO but I love a tasty beer cheers

13 Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2017 3:03 PM

therealthing691:

G,day I have done three brews with Belle saison yeast which were extract with some steeped grains with a OG:1060 at 21L 2 off and a 1 at OG:1050 23L only used one pack 11g rehydrated hope this helps cheers Brian

Fg: 1010 on the first 2 the 3rd is still in but fg should be the same cheers

The 3rd brew I checked today which is day 7 1006 will leave a day or so more then bottle cheers

14 Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 6:03 PM

Mine is at 1010, I guess I'll leave it a couple of days and check again.

Tastes pretty good at the moment, not sure how to describe it, I'll wait until I sample from the bottle.

Cheers

JP

15 Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 7:11 PM

Not finished.

16 Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 10:05 PM

Ben 10:

Not finished.

Yeah, and thinking on this just now, considering this cooler weather, it might take more than a couple of days to finish.

I was hoping to get it into bottles quickly, but I might just leave it alone for a week.

Cheers

JP

17 Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 3 PM

ImaginativeName:

Mine is at 1010, I guess I'll leave it a couple of days and check again.

Tastes pretty good at the moment, not sure how to describe it, I'll wait until I sample from the bottle.

Cheers

JP

Is hard to describe peppery spicy I love the taste it has a whole lot going on but really nice IMO cheers

18 Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 9:56 AM

That sounds about right.

I just took a reading and had a taste, it's only dropped a couple of points, and it definitely tastes peppery.

I'm sure it wasn't so strong a few days ago, not what I'm used to, but I'm sure it's going to be tasty.

19 Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:29 PM

1008 for the last two readings, one on the 6th, the other on the 9th.

I figured it wasn't going to go any further, but bottled in plastic to be safe, that was yesterday.

I just checked the bottles, and, erm….they're carbonated, after around 24 hours…..not fully, but, this has just happened much much quicker than I'm used to.

How concerned should I be?

Cheers

JP

20 Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 5:33 PM

Last Saison i did was kit / extract based and still got down to 1.004 !
Spicy , funky 7.2% rye Saison that put hairs on your palms .
Within a week had got to 1.010 but I'm patient and bottled in glass so waited and kept raising temp up a few degrees a day until I hit 35 .

Finished that batch a while ago and there was a increasing Brett. presence which actually balanced the rye spice and horse blanket, barnyard funk from the Saison yeast very well .
Added upside was watching the looks on beer bludgers faces when I gave them a glass hehehe