1 Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 5:57 PM

Hi all,

Just seen on the net: Marris Otter LME, 1.5kg, available from Brew Mart.

Was wondering if anyone has used it ?

If so was the difference noticeable compared to normal light LME?

Got 2 cans ordered for my next brews : IPA and ESB.

Cheers

James

2 Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 10:04 PM

Ooh, that's interesting! I've just used some of Briess's fancy Malts recently. Pity there's no other product of the same brand to compare it to

3 Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 10:06 PM

Oh hang on, it's Muntons so perhaps there is. Hmmm …

4 Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 8:47 AM

I used to use Munton kits when I first started as that was what my LHBS had.
I remember really liking them, but haven't used any their gear for ages.
I mainly just use Coopers lager and EB with Coopers LME cans now, so will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference with the different LME can
Can't stop thinking about moving to AG though, I am trying to improve the brews all the time, I think it will be inevitable to make the leap.
Just got to convince the missus it will save money (?)
Been researching BIAB, will have to check some of Kings Vids on YouTube when I get home from work tomorrow ( signal is too slow out here in the middle of the ocean).

Cheers

James

5 Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 10:58 PM

JLao, I'm surprised that you decided to buy a yeast stir plate and other equipment before going AG. I'm only a recent convert, 4 AGs to date. 2 of them hoppy APAs and the german pils I just bottled tonight.

I (and my tasters) have picked up a noticeable improvement in the flavour of my beers that are AG compared to my kit and PM brews. I'm committed now - 25kg sacks of grain, just bought a grain mill, etc!

6 Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 4:28 AM

I think it makes total sense to move to starters, however you make them, before going all grain. And getting a brew fridge too. Make the best extract you can before investing in all grain.

I am not a huge fan of the kits in the Muntons base line. In my area they are more expensive than the Coopers kits and come with less extract in the can, and less yeast. Their higher end kits are okay, and contain 1.8kg of extract, but I seldom use them, because of the price. My favourite is the Mount Mellick Yorkshire Bitter, which probably would go well with that Munich LME.

IME if you use malt instead of dextrose with the kit, you need more yeast. The kit yeast isn't bad, it is S-33, which attenuates a little less than the Coopers yeast, but there just isn't enough of it. You could combine it with 7gm of yeast from a Coopers kit to it, or make a SNS starter with the kit yeast.

Cheers,

Christina.

7 Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2017 10:40 PM

Back home now and after showing the missus a few YouTube vids of AG brewing ( including our very own King's), she has agreed that AG brewing outside will be better than me commandeering the kitchen for 4 hours every 2 weeks.
And on the net buying 25 kg of grain is loads cheaper than buying extract.(6 kg a brew?)
So I am looking at either getting 2 x Robobrews next tax rebate or looking at a cheaper alternative.
I am leaning towards the Robbos, but would love the Grainfather , but unless I win the lotto it ain't gonna happen.
Think I could get a Crown urn set up x 2 with pumps and temp control for cheaper than the Robobrew but at least the Robobbrew would have customer support if it all went west??
As I do double brews and am time limited I need to maximise the time spent brewing/ cleaning etc.

Cheers

James

8 Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 12:42 PM

Just tapped the kegs with the Maris Otter LME the other day.
The ESB and IPA seem smoother somehow, but not getting so much of a nutty malt flavour that Maris Otter is meant to give.
Maybe it's too early to tell yet, maybe there's too much hops in the IPA to detect any difference too?
But the cans are the same price as other LLME in the LHBS , so worth a go I suppose.
On the all grain front , I am hoping to get a solar panel set up to reduce the soaring lecky bills and further increase my chances of getting the Robobrew systems over the line with the missus!!
Free electricity when brewing, not using the kitchen, gas stove etc , will hopefully tip the balance in the favour of getting an AG system!!
Things we do eh!

Cheers

James

9 Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:19 PM

Yeah you probably won't notice much influence from MO in an IPA. I don't even really notice it in my APAs, which is why I don't bother having any other ale malts in the inventory - I can't tell them apart in APAs. It does make the ESBs a bit more authentic though.

Last edited by Otto Von Blotto (Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:19 PM)