1 Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 6:29 PM

Hi all. Yesterday I went to syphon my “Devils Brew Porter” from fv to keg, upon lifting the lid of the fv I was hit by a nail polish remover/chemical like smell. I had a taste and it was slightly tart. FG was stable over three days finishing at 1.012. This was the first brew in 2 years of brewing I did without temp control and probably the last. For most of the 13 days in the fv it was actually fairly stable at 18c but day 3 it did peak at 22c. So I transferred the brew to keg with some priming sugar to catb and condition. I'm wondering if age will improve this brew or should I cut my losses and just tip it? Anyone had experience with this? Thanks

Ingredients:1 x 1.7kg Thomas Coopers Devil’s Half Ruby Porter
1 x 1.5kg Thomas Coopers Amber Malt Extract
2 x 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt
x 300g Chocolate Malt grains
1 x 11g Lallemand Nottingham Dry Yeast + Kit Yeast

2 Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 7:57 AM

Sounds like it may be ethyl acetate. It is produced during fermentation and usually a result of high fermentation temps, or stressed yeast or perhaps wild yeast. I don't think it dissipates over time.

With regards to your beer, 22 degrees isn't really that high and you seemed to have pitched sufficient yeast. Not sure what may have caused it.

3 Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 9:20 AM

I would not tip it. Give it a couple of weeks at room temp before deciding. The yeast might clean it up if given a chance. Either that or it is on its way to becoming vinegar.

Cheers,

Christina.

4 Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 11:52 AM

Thanks guys. Although not ideal I didn't think 22c was too over tbe top and was surprised at the smell. I'm actually leaning more towards infection myself I'll give it some time in the keg and see what happens. Thanks.

5 Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 12:30 PM

Did you experience an excessive lag time before the yeast got up & going?

6 Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 2:19 PM

Beerlust:

Did you experience an excessive lag time before the yeast got up & going?

No, not really. Pitched on a Sunday late afternoon, checked on monday morning and it had a healthy krausen forming. Will admit I was little slack and dry pitched the yeast, I usually rehydrate before pitching.

7 Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 10:17 PM

Perhaps the dry pitch killed off too many cells and caused an under pitch. It would explain stressed yeast.

8 Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 1:37 PM

Thought I'd give an update. After a few weeks of sitting in the keg the tart taste has completely gone and the aroma isn't as strong as it was so that seems to be dissipating with time too. I'll let it age in the keg for another month or so. I'm glad I didn't tip it now, cheers.

Last edited by Bird1986 (Friday, October 13, 2017 1:37 PM)