1 Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 4:44 PM

Yep #10 coming up,i have some ingredients but can't put a recipe together so here they are.1 can os draught,1 500g ldm,1 1kg be2,us05&so4 yeast,300g of each steeping grains carapils&crysal.Hops i've got 100g of each cascade,mosaic,topaz,vic secret,EKG,hallertau,fuggles,centennial&galaxy.Any idea's would be appreciated.Cheers Hazy.

2 Posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 5:30 AM

Draught + fuggles + ekg for an english IPA. With the S04.
I don't do kits so don't know the schedule but some crystal and all the fermentables and heavy flameout hopping.
How bitter si the kit?

3 Posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 7:53 AM

Thanks mate,the basic kit is'nt overly bitter IMO so i should be okay.An english ipa sounds great to me,thanks again Ben10.Cheers Hazy.

4 Posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 12:51 PM

You could make yourself a nice light APA with that collection of ingredients.

Using the draught can, 500g LME and BE2, and perhaps optionally another 250g sugar will put you in the 4.5-5% ABV ballpark.

Steep the 300g crystal along with say 25g moasic then strain from the grain after 30mins. Then boil that wort and the hops for 15mins. This is a kind of psuedo-FWH which will get both the bitterness up and will also give you added hop flavour too. I then used to throw in some further post-boil aroma hop additions, say 25g and let them steep for around 15mins. You could use cascade, centennial, galaxy or whatever here, though I'd probably exclude the EKG, Hallertau and fuggles from this brew but the others will all suit the style quite well I think. And then later, say another 50g of whatever hop(s) you like as a dry-hop addition once fermentation has settled.

5 Posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 1:11 PM

BlackSands:

Y though I'd probably exclude the EKG,

Try it in a Pale, goes really well with newer hops.

6 Posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 1:30 PM

Ben 10:

BlackSands:

Y though I'd probably exclude the EKG,

Try it in a Pale, goes really well with newer hops.

Well, sure why not? I guess I was just being more ‘conservative and conventional’ with the suggestion that those particular hops may not suit the style, but at the end of the day, experimentation and breaking with tradition is of course one of the benefits of BYO !

7 Posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 4:37 PM

Thanks guys,i think i'll get another can and try both .Cheers Hazy.

8 Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 11:32 AM

Hi guys,just one more question what is FWH?.Cheers Hazy.

9 Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 7:03 PM

FWH is First Wort Hop which is an all grain technique.
The “bittering” charge of hops is thrown in before the wort starts to boil. Said to impart a mellow bitterness and some flavour.

10 Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 12:19 PM

Okay thanks for that,i have done this now with mosaic and galaxy but not sure what i will dry hop with but anyway can't wait to try this brew.Cheers Hazy.

Last edited by Hazy (Tuesday, September 19, 2017 12:19 PM)