1 Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 4:05 AM

Hey all,

So today I get my stuff all clean and set up and get the stuff out to brew an extract brew I had planned, before discoving I left the plug for my boiler at my parent's home (grr). Now, I have no homebrew in at all at the minute, so situation was pretty desperate. After a trip to the not so local homebrew store I picked up a can of the bootmaker kit and some other bits and bobs and threw one together.

This got me wondering what are everyone's favourite kits and bits brews? I've heard an English Bitter based porter is quite nice, any other recommendations?

2 Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 10:56 AM

Benjiman:

This got me wondering what are everyone's favourite kits and bits brews? I've heard an English Bitter based porter is quite nice, any other recommendations?

The English Bitter based English Bitter is a cracker

It doesn't need much tweaking. Perhaps 1kg LDM, some medium crystal and hop tea of Styrians, EKG, Challenger or Fuggles etc.

3 Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 11:20 AM

The Coopers ‘Shiner’ Black IPA took me by surprise. Was kind of a ‘try and see’ experiment but it turned out to be the kit recipe I've enjoyed the most!

http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/121/

Based on a craft can unfortunately - I'd be in debt to anyone who could reformat for a full size can…

4 Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:40 PM

Happy Chappies:

The Coopers ‘Shiner’ Black IPA took me by surprise. Was kind of a ‘try and see’ experiment but it turned out to be the kit recipe I've enjoyed the most!

http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/121/

Based on a craft can unfortunately - I'd be in debt to anyone who could reformat for a full size can…

+1 The Black IPA was a cracker! Would be my favourite of the kit based brews I've done

5 Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 8 PM

Another +1 for the Shiner.

The Fruit Salad Ale is always popular too.

6 Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:59 PM

My best to date would have to be the TC 86 days pilsner with hallertau hops and some carapils, but the current one i'm drinking would be right up there, it's the Brew A IPA with Caramalt and citra/mosaic/simcoe mmmmm

Cheers,
Hoppy

Show Image Attachments
Image Attachments:

7 Posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 6:32 PM

Coopers Australian Pale Ale is always excellent and reliable, but I LOVE their Mr Sinister brew.
If you like it dark, do yourself a favour….

Ian

8 Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 6:06 PM

I tapped my last Tap-a-draft ‘keg’ of Amber IPL today, and from a little sample it is as good as I remember. This would definitely have to be one of my favourite kit batches. The Amber Ale kit gives a nice malt base with a touch of caramel and roast, the LDM boosts the ABV and the body, the dextrose keeps it from being a bit too full-bodied, the big dose of Centennial firms up the bitterness and absolutely saturates it with citrus (orange and grapefruit) and the lager yeast keeps a clean flavour profile that highlights the malt and hops. No extra specialty malts needed for this one.

TC Family Secret Amber kit
2kg Light Dry malt
300g Dextrose
150g Centennial at flameout (30 minute steep)
150g Centennial dry hop (post-fermentation, 7 days duration)
Wyeast Munich Lager yeast (2308 from memory)

Volume: 21 litres
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.014

Cheers,

John

9 Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 7:18 PM

Easiest of easy drinkers..

Coopers draught kit + Coopers Wheat malt tin with US-05 at 18c made to 21L.

Do it maybe 3 or 4 times a year when I don't have the time to do AG brews.

10 Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 9:42 PM

Apa tin and wheat tin very nice with some Galaxy 10 min.

11 Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 9:09 AM

Igoe:

Coopers Australian Pale Ale is always excellent and reliable, but I LOVE their Mr Sinister brew.
If you like it dark, do yourself a favour….

Ian

I've never seen this recipe before. Sounds like my kind of thing.

But with Lager yeast @13C?

Last edited by Graculus (Sunday, September 17, 2017 9:09 AM)