1 Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 10:21 PM

Hello fellow cooper forum users. I started brewing my first beer 6 days ago (a coopers Canadian blonde) and soon i will be botteling it. I have found a guy on gumtree giving away these glass bottles, see link bellow, with stoppers. My question is: Do you think the stoppers will be able to take the preassure of the beer carbonating in the bottles? If not, do you think duckttaping the shutters shut would do the trick?

Link to picture of the bottle: http://colourofmaroc.com/images/arganOil.gif

Cheers,
Karl

PS. The bottles are intended to contain oil.

2 Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:59 AM

Hi Karl,

Even with ducktape I imagine the caps of these wouldn't hold the pressure. Rule of thumb is that it should be a container designed to hold a carbonated drink.

3 Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 4:25 AM

Definitely do not use them for bottling beer.

Nice bottles, but kinda small. If you were thinking about branching out to make a still (= non-sparkling) wine or cider, you could possibly use them.

Cheers,

Christina

4 Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 6:40 AM

Yeah i agree with both Benjiman and Christina. Those bottles will not be suitable for beer and would most likely blow the lids off when the pressure starts to build. Try searching on gumtree for beer bottles, there are usually heaps on there to choose from

5 Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:23 AM

Thank you for your replies!

6 Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 9:37 AM

Free Shipping Offer on Coopers PET bottles.

7 Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 10 AM

where are you based? there is often members with spare bottles.. sometimes free/sometimes price of recycle.. some of our bottles are worth a bit of money..

8 Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 10:54 AM

Hi Del, thanks for the tip. I am in Coogee, Sydney.

9 Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 10:41 PM

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/caringbah/miscellaneous-goods/home-brew-beer-bottles-empty-/1159515984

Nice drive down to Caringbah at the weekend. Knock em down to $20 though.

Last edited by Graculus (Thursday, September 14, 2017 10:41 PM)