1 Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 5:09 PM

Hi Guys,

New here and this is my first post.

i recent put down a Coopers Toucan Stout, (after reading some posts on here), with stout and dark ale, 500gm dextrose and 500gm of brown sugar.

The OG was 1081 and finished at 1013…. yep she's strong…

I've since cold crashed it to 5 degrees celcius, but when it was finished, I went camping and so put it back to 18C… Now i'm up to prime batching, should I account for the cold crashing and the C02 that the beer would've absorbed or would it be lost now? Or should I drop it to 5C again?

I have 23L remaining.

Cheers everyone, apologies for the rookie questions ;)

2 Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 8:18 PM

I'm sure people will disagree but I don't think the upper and lower fermentation temps really make a difference at the homebrew level.

Welcome aboard!

3 Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 8:50 PM

Cold crashing has negligible effect on the amount of CO2 absorbed into the beer. The only CO2 available is in the headspace of the fermenter which is probably not even 100% CO2 anyway given that some air would be sucked in as the pressure drops during the temperature drop.

The other reason is that the fermenter is not airtight or under any pressure so there's nothing to really force the CO2 into solution.

Just prime as you would normally for that style. I think the OG is a bit high though, I've done that recipe once myself and it was somewhere in the mid-high 1.060s.

4 Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 9:44 PM

Thanks for the info, i'll just go ahead and prime

Last edited by BobnHop (Wednesday, September 13, 2017 9:44 PM)