1 Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 11:40 PM

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is a noob question. So my wife bought me the Coopers craft brew kit, which comes with a 15L Fermenter and I just started my very first brew tonight. :)

My question is looking at the size of the fermenter it seems a lot smaller than normal one's and when looking at the Coopers website non-craft beer mixes seem sized for the much larger fermenter. Then when I look at other brands they have a bubbler, which this system doesn't have.

Can I do non-craft beer in this fermenter?
Is a bubbler needed (watching videos a bubble every two minutes is when you tell it's done)?
Man I could keep going with questions so more research for me the next few days…

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2 Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 12:49 PM

30beersandcounting:

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is a noob question. So my wife bought me the Coopers craft brew kit, which comes with a 15L Fermenter and I just started my very first brew tonight. :)

My question is looking at the size of the fermenter it seems a lot smaller than normal one's and when looking at the Coopers website non-craft beer mixes seem sized for the much larger fermenter. Then when I look at other brands they have a bubbler, which this system doesn't have.

Can I do non-craft beer in this fermenter?
Is a bubbler needed (watching videos a bubble every two minutes is when you tell it's done)?
Man I could keep going with questions so more research for me the next few days…

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Yes the Craft fermenter is smaller than your standard size fermenter. Unfortunately other than the Coopers craft series cans there isn't really any other pre-hopped kits for this size fermenter. The other cans your talking about are designed for 23 liters although some guys have had some luck brewing these in the craft fv. Another option you could look at when your ready is doing full extract brews meaning you buy a can of unhopped extract and do your own hop additions for bittering, flavour and aroma. You can even steep a small amount of grain to change the extract's profile further. But as I said when your ready. The bubbler you mention is called an airlock and to be honest is not required your still going to get the required oxygen exchange with your coopers fv. The only sure way to know when a brew is finished is to get consistent hydrometer readings over serval days. Hope this answers some of your questions, cheers.

3 Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 1:29 PM

This question pops up relatively frequently, and there's a number of us using the craft FV either independently, or along with a full size.

In short, you've got a few options beyond the craft size cans (which are limited and expensive):

1. Buy a normal 23l size can and split it into two. So use half the can with half (or slightly less) of the recommended fermentables (ie. BE1, BE2, LDM) and brew to 11 litres. You'll probably need to buy the krausen collar to make the work without too much risk of spillage. I store the remaining extract in a sterilized plastic container in the fridge, but have heard you can just glad wrap the can and leave in the fridge for a couple of weeks with no problem.

2. Some of the ‘lighter’ cans (cerveza, pale ale, lager) can just be dumped in their entirety into the craft size FV, with none of the additional fermentables (or you can choose some extra fermentables, some extra hops, etc). There's a thread on here about just that - I'm about to try that for the first time in my next batch out of curiosity.

3. Move to extract only brewing. So buy tins of extract and hop yourself.

4. Move to all grain (which is fairly easy with a craft FV as you can buy a 19l stockpot and do it on the stove. But appreciate that might be a long-term plan….

If by bubbler you mean airlock, nope. Not necessary at all. As already said, the hydrometer will tell you when it's done, as visual signs are not terribly reliable.

Last edited by Happy Chappies (Wednesday, September 13, 2017 1:29 PM)