1 Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 6:58 PM

stuck a Coopers Unreal Ale on today.

1.7kg Coopers Real Ale
1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 1
500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

But used a BE2.

OG is coming in at 1070 would this high reading be due to the extra ingredients of the BE2?

ive ran some out first prior to the hydro testing.

Also, What beer style is the Unreal Ale? if i was to stick it into IanH's spreadsheet? what would i select as beer style?

2 Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:08 PM

Be1 and Be2 in the same brew?

Plus 500 ldm, would expect gravity high,
Hope you pitched extra yeast.
Real Ale is an excellent drop for a standard K & K brew.

3 Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:14 PM

i used the BE2 not a BE1.

as i had a brick of BE2 sitting around doing nothing,

i added 500gram light DME ( as the UNREAL ALE recipe goes) as well.

so by using the BE2, ive inadvertently upped the DME a few extra grams..

havent pitched yet.. still sitting around 24deg will only be a kit yeast.

though im hitting beer belly tomorrow to pick up some stuff. could grab some us05 or similar.

havent added any hops to it either.. just kept it pretty straight. though i have Citra, Centenial, Amarillo, East Kent Goldings and Hallertau Mittlefruih available..

4 Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 9:30 PM

Hi Del,

I have answered the other thread you posted in about the Unreal Ale kit.

I don't think your OG is really 1.070, unless you really reduced the batch size. Either your hydrometer is inaccurate, you did not degas your sample, or your ingredients were not mixed properly.

The Unreal Ale kit is supposed to be a plain English Bitter I think. You could dry hop it with a small amount of your EKG, three days before bottling. Personally I think the Real Ale kit and the English Bitter kit are both too bitter for the English Bitter style. You can make a nicer one using the OS Lager kit for the base, with some crystal, +/- some Midnight Wheat to adjust the colour.

Note that Ian H's spreadsheet under reports the bitterness of the kits by quite a large margin. You will see this if you do the calculation by hand. It is possible to “fix” the spread sheet by changing the formula. There is a thread about it here:

https://club.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/17178/

Cheers,

Christina.

5 Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 9:42 PM

thanks for your reply! yeah i didint worry about hopping it up. ive done some other brews with it previously and had some good beers. i figured id just do the Coopers UNREAL ALE and swap the BE1 for a BE2 as that was what i had on hand. i might just see how it runs as it is.. ive got a hoppy IPA in the other fermentor already.

cheers for the info!

Last edited by Del (Tuesday, September 12, 2017 9:42 PM)