1 Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 9:21 PM

Just started my first brew. Poured the brew can in and then added water.
The brew can contents and water didn't mix very well. Should I have mixed it before adding the yeast?

2 Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 9:30 PM

Hello Utshwala, & welcome to the forum.

When you make yourself a cup of coffee, do you stir it well to dissolve the coffee evenly through the hot water?

…same principle applies here.

Good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

3 Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 9:47 PM

I think Lusty's analogy is slightly misguided actually. The only problem you'll run into by not mixing the goo properly into the water is not being able to take an accurate OG reading. The yeast will still find it and ferment it and turn it into beer in about a week, whether it's mixed in or not. By the time the fermentation is finished it will be mixed through from yeast activity.

In saying that, it is a good idea to give it a decent stir when making up the batch to dissolve it properly because other than taking an OG reading, it more importantly helps aerate the wort which is beneficial to the yeast.

4 Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 10:33 PM

Beerlust:

When you make yourself a cup of coffee, do you stir it well to dissolve the coffee evenly through the hot water?

…same principle applies here.

Otto Von Blotto:

I think Lusty's analogy is slightly misguided actually…

…In saying that, it is a good idea to give it a decent stir when making up the batch to dissolve it properly because other than taking an OG reading, it more importantly helps aerate the wort which is beneficial to the yeast.

Draw your own analogy from that.

Cheers,

Lusty.

5 Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 10:38 PM

The difference is if you want the coffee to taste good you have to mix it evenly, with making a kit beer it's not an absolute necessity because the yeast will do it anyway, but still a good idea for the other reasons I mentioned.

6 Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 10:44 PM

Otto Von Blotto:

The difference is if you want the coffee to taste good you have to mix it evenly, with making a kit beer it's not an absolute necessity because the yeast will do it anyway, but still a good idea for the other reasons I mentioned.

Indeed.

Our poster is a new brewer, so thought best not to complicate the answer, just give “good practice” advice.

Cheers,

Lusty.

7 Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 6:05 AM

Utshwala:

Just started my first brew. Poured the brew can in and then added water.
The brew can contents and water didn't mix very well. Should I have mixed it before adding the yeast?

Hey Utshwala

Welcome to the forum.

Always give it stir after sanitising the white Coopers spoon. As you start to add more fermentables it is important that they mix properly so you can take your original specific gravity reading (OG) which is important for calculating tour % alcohol by volume (ABV).

As already stated the yeast doesn't really care, just make sure you mix the next one well.

Cheers & Beers
Scottie
Valley Brew

8 Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:38 AM

Beerlust:

What if he/she has taste buds and doesn't make instant coffee?

9 Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 9:18 AM

you mob… sheesh :P

Add ingredients and HOT water.. stir well. let ferment.

is what the beer geniuses up top are trying to say :P

10 Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 9:35 AM

Utshwala, going by your description, I'm guessing you are using the Craft Brewing Kit??

As per the instructions, there is no need to stir. Here is the video.

11 Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 7:53 PM

Hi Paul.

PB2:

Utshwala, going by your description, I'm guessing you are using the Craft Brewing Kit??

As per the instructions, there is no need to stir. Here is the video.

I got thinking about this “no need to stir” approach in a practical way.

If this is true, & the yeast will find the sugars to ferment (& ferment them completely) then as a kit brewer what is stopping the brewer from simply adding the extracts directly into the fermenter, then pouring water over the top of them to the intended volume, & then pitching the yeast (with no stirring)?

The fact that the top layer would be pretty much pure water or at least a very low gravity by not making any direct attempt at mixing the extract through the water would aid in rehydrating the yeast yes, but on a negative, how well will the wort be oxygenated, & how well will the yeast cope with chewing through a fairly solid malt cake at the bottom of the FV?

Cheers,

Lusty.

12 Posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 6:43 AM

I'd imagine the malt would eventually dissolve anyway, even if it wasn't stirred up first to encourage it to do so. I suspect oxygenation wouldn't be optimal without stirring on a full size batch though, unless you did an AG no-chill type thing and poured the water in from a cube from a height, or stuck a silicon hose onto the laundry tap or whatever and turned it on quite hard to splash it in there. But the yeast will still find the malt, and their activity would see it mixed in by the end of the fermentation.

The only thing is you wouldn't be able to take an accurate OG reading.

Last edited by Otto Von Blotto (Friday, September 15, 2017 6:43 AM)