1 Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 6:15 PM

Bottle some of my Franziskaner wheat beer into 1.25 PET bottles.

Bulk primed with 280g of table sugar as per brewers friend calc for that style, MAN its got some gas!

Even the crown caps on my glass bottles have bulged up, Ive just taken the bottles out of the conditioning fridge to store in the cupboard & let some gas out of the PET's as the where ROCK solid, released enough to just be able to squeeze them, 4hrs later there rock solid again, how much gas is safe to vent of & is there a limit to how often etc?

Sure as eggs fermentation was complete, down to 1003-1004 for a couple of days @ 24'c.

On the plus side its got great head, although you do have to give it 5-10mins in the glass to calm the F down before you can drink it, no matter how carefully you pour it.

2 Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 9:22 AM

You may need to release the pressure several times over the course of a few days before it normalises.

As for your glass bottles - they are potential bombs! I would be placing them in the fridge to prevent them from developing any more pressure. Wear protective clothing and safety glasses when handling the glass bottles.

3 Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 9:47 AM

i store my bottles in a 100l esky.. controlled environment.. just in case.. but get those glassies cold!!! i had a couple bottle bombs once.. and the GF decided to clean up the mess for me.. god bless her… but she stuck some bottles in warm water in the bath tub.. potentially dangerous as the warm water heated the beer up.. producing more gas! lucky i got home in time.. none had exploded.. but i then educated her on this subject.. SAFETY first!

4 Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 5:07 PM

Actually hadn't thought of the glass actually exploding but bloody good point, man they would do some damage if they did.

Let some more out of the PET's today, prob only needed to do 1/4 as much as last time to get some squeeze.

When I open a glass bottle there's actually not that much gas venting more the pressure its at, but as you pour the beer gasses in the glass for ages, it actually tastes a bit like Brut/Cava/Champagne which eases as it gasses off to leave the much nicer Weiss beer tones.

There now stored in a laundry cupboard at 15'c max & will be handled with care.

5 Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 10:12 PM

Fri-7-Jul - to 27-Jul - bottled 6.86 weeks - Tom Coopers Crown Lager - Tin Light Malt
That was in the fermenter for three weeks, my production schedule only allows for two weeks in the fermenter, no time for slackers here.
I bottled in plastic ‘cause it still had some bubbles.
Possibly the kit yeast wasn’t enough.
Today was warm, maybe 30. The bottles were hard so I carefully released a little pressure.
I think this a plus for plastic, such versatility and I'm not just saying that because I'm plastic.

Last edited by Marvin (Wednesday, September 13, 2017 10:12 PM)