1 Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2017 11:21 PM

Hi all,

Is it just me or does anyone else struggle with DME on brew day for hop boils or making a starters etc.?
I used to pour it into a big bowl that was placed on the electronic scales that were zeroed, then pour it into the boiling water, for a hop boil or starter.
The DME would clog up and stick to the bowl and be a PITA.
But now I use the old Pyrex 500ml jug on the scales (zeroed), then measure out 200g of DME, which just about fills the jug, then slowly add boiled water from the kettle.
Stop filling water when the jug is nearly full (scales are at 300g), wait about 5 seconds and stir with a spoon, then put in the pot for hop boil or whatever.
I do this several times depending how much I need.
This saves loads of mess and is a lot more accurate when measuring how much to put in the boil.
As it already a liquid mix it doesn't sink to the bottom in clumps etc.
Sorry if this common knowledge and is what everyone does already, but thought I would see what everyone else (using extract), does with DME on brew day, as it pissed me off for ages and now it is less of a pain to handle by making a big Horlicks then putting it in the boiling water.!

Cheers

James

2 Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2017 11:41 PM

I actually did a video on this, but in the end it turns out the easiest thing to do is add the DME pre-boil.

3 Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 5:07 AM

What I want to know is how to keep my extra DME from turning into a solid brick in the summer, when it is humid. Even in a ziplock bag it gets hard. I buy a kilo and use 100gm at a time, for starters. By the time the bag is nearly empty, it is just about impossible to break apart.

Cheers,

Christina.

4 Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 5:50 AM

ChristinaS1:

What I want to know is how to keep my extra DME from turning into a solid brick in the summer, when it is humid. Even in a ziplock bag it gets hard. I buy a kilo and use 100gm at a time, for starters. By the time the bag is nearly empty, it is just about impossible to break apart.

Cheers,

Christina.

Prob the only 100% sure way is to buy a vacuum sealer, open your new 1kg bag, split it down into 100g lots & vac seal them, also good for keeping hops as well as meat & other such frozen stuff.

5 Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 6:22 AM

I only use it for starters these days but it gets dissolved in a 1L measuring jug with cold water. It's easy as and no mess.

However, there are two types of DME. The Coopers DME is a very fine powder almost like talc. It does not dissolve easily, and it foams up like crazy when brought to the boil - or at least the shit I was using that was the same consistency as Coopers DME did. The other type is a coarser powder, it dissolves in seconds and doesn't go mental on the boil.

6 Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 7:50 AM

ChristinaS1:

I have similar issues when I buy the 1kg bags.
I put the DME into the big zip lock bags, squeeze all the air out when finished using, seal them up and then put them inside another ziplock bag.
The double layer and squeezing the air out has worked well for keeping the moisture out so far.
Even using a big spoon when measuring out instead of pouring the malt straight in from the bag helps, if using hot water.
Have thought about using LME but don't like the thought of saving half a can etc.

Cheers

James

7 Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 8:56 AM

ChristinaS1:

Cheers,

Christina.

Christina.

I bought a 20kg of LDME. I then weighed it out into some 1kg and some 500g.
Put these in ziplock bags. Then put the ziplock bag inside an airtight container.
But I know what you mean. Before I did that I left some as you describe.
I ended up with a fist size lump. I just threw it in a toucan stout to get rid of it.

I must admit the stuff is horrible to weigh out. I take it out into the garage.
Put a big piece of paper down on a work bench. Put on rubber gloves and
use a scoop to put it in the bags. I did ask the bloke in the shop I bought it
if there were any tips on weighing it out. He just laughed and basically told me
it is a PITA.

The biggest problem I find it tipping the malt into the FV. The stuff just crystalises
around the top of the ziplock bag. Next time I'm going to put it in a glass bowl
or something.

Pete

8 Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 2:52 PM

I never get bricks of DME; I also buy the 1kg bags for yeast starters, and although I use 200-250g at a time, or more for lager starters, a bag usually lasts long enough that it could turn into a brick. I just push as much air out as possible, then fold the end of the bag from each corner to the centre, and roll it up and hold it in place with a rubber band.

When weighing it I weigh the malt first and then add water to dissolve it.

9 Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 7:07 PM

all my brew gear has been in storage for 12 months.. the one bag that i didnt vacuum seal.. was a solid brick.

the rest i vacuum sealed are fine.. i bought a cheap vacuum sealer from Ebay. and it works a charm!

10 Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 7:53 PM

Add dry malt extract to cold water first, & then bring to the boil or add hot water depending on what your are doing at the time. The steam from hot or boiling water is what begins clumping the dry extract before it even hits the water.

The spray dried extract seems to clump more easily, so be patient when you are pouring it, & try to spread it more slowly over as wider area as you can to minimize clumping.

Cheers,

Lusty.

11 Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 9:06 PM

I've been using a large stainless whisk for DME mixing (and wort prep in general) - fully dissolved, and quick too, no clumps etc. The stuff is weighed prior in dry plastic containers before it comes anywhere near the stock pot - less moisture to get in the way. I'm guessing Melbourne isn't as humid this time of the year also.

12 Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 9:50 PM

The spray dried stuff is what would boil over on the stove and create those strands of grey shit when boiled; as well as clumping easily it doesn't dissolve easily either. I'm glad Craftbrewer has the band dried stuff because at least for yeast starters it's far easier to work with.

13 Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 12:24 PM

I use a sanitised 2 litre milk bottle, funnel and digital kitchen scales. Place bottle, with funnel inserted on scales, switch on, and I have a tare weight reading of zero. Pour or spoon weight required into funnel. When that is done, clear funnel if necessary with cold or hot water. Add more water to bottle, cap it and shake until DME has dissolved.

Easy as, and you can perform this operation well in advance if you wish.

15 Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 12 PM

Otto Von Blotto:

I only use it for starters these days but it gets dissolved in a 1L measuring jug with cold water. It's easy as and no mess.

However, there are two types of DME. The Coopers DME is a very fine powder almost like talc. It does not dissolve easily, and it foams up like crazy when brought to the boil - or at least the shit I was using that was the same consistency as Coopers DME did. The other type is a coarser powder, it dissolves in seconds and doesn't go mental on the boil.

Funny you say that,

First brew i used dme from country brewer dissolved quick no clumping was great to use. Had to use coopers dme since as it's all I can get locally, rural living does have some disadvantages. And that stuff is a pita to manage, doesnt dissolve well and clings to everything not to mention dusty as hell.

16 Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 12:52 PM

solidute:

Funny you say that,

First brew i used dme from country brewer dissolved quick no clumping was great to use. Had to use coopers dme since as it's all I can get locally, rural living does have some disadvantages. And that stuff is a pita to manage, doesnt dissolve well and clings to everything not to mention dusty as hell.

Exactly the same issues I had with the finer powder. Mine wasn't Coopers branded but it sounds like it's pretty much the same stuff anyway. I still have a bag of it actually, and had to use some of it on my last starter (about 120g I think) to top it up as I didn't have enough of the other stuff to make up the 320g or whatever it was in total. This time though, the boil behaved and I didn't see any grey strands. I'm still not confident using it as the entire amount of extract though so maybe I'll get rid of it by adding it in small amounts to the other stuff.

Cheers

Kelsey

Last edited by Otto Von Blotto (Thursday, November 09, 2017 12:52 PM)