1 Posted: Friday, September 08, 2017 11:09 PM

Just read something on the Scott Janish website that said commando hops impart 50% more hop flavour or something like that.
So that got me thinking of trying it when I get back home this time.
Thinking of commando hopping 50g of Citra in the FV, then starting the Cold Crash.
Would 24 hours CC be enough to drop out the pellets?
(I am on a tight timeline as might have mates coming to visit after only a few days of being home).
If not I will just CC and then keg hop the Citra in a nylon mesh bag, which has worked well for me so far.
Just the first 2-3 beers are a bit murky, then it clears up..
Any commandoes experienced with CCing advice appreciated, don't want to get full pellets in the keg/ clog up the FV tap etc.
(I know I asked this in “perils of dry hopping”, but have not received an answer yet)!

Cheers

James

2 Posted: Friday, September 08, 2017 11:14 PM

It's hard to answer because you can't really see when they've completely dropped out. I'd guess 24 hours probably isn't long enough, it's certainly not long enough if you drop the temp then keg it the next day because it will only just have gotten down there. Personally I'd be aiming for at least 3-4 days to ensure all hop matter has dropped out.

3 Posted: Friday, September 08, 2017 11:20 PM

Thanks for the reply mate.
Yeah I kind of thought that would be the case.
Looks like I will keg hop it instead.
Probably commando hop the next brew when I have more time to CC.
Does makes sense that there would more hoppiness, as more of the pellets are getting contact with the wort.

Cheers

James

4 Posted: Friday, September 08, 2017 11:29 PM

It does make sense although I've done it both ways and haven't really noticed a great deal of difference. I don't pack hops in tight if I contain them in something though, they are always given ample space to expand so they can release as much as possible into the beer.

I always cold crash for a week minimum anyway so commando hops are definitely settled out by then. I did a 90g dry hop in an IPA a couple of years ago and had no issues with hop matter clogging things or ending up in the glass or whatever.

5 Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2017 9:03 AM

James Lao:

Just read something on the Scott Janish website that said commando hops impart 50% more hop flavour or something like that.

I can imagine this would be true, but whether it's 50% is debatable. I know from my own experience that when I've unintentionally bagged hops too tight they've been far less effective. But I suspect that if the hop bag or whatever containers is big enough to allow the wort-swollen hops to ‘mix n mingle’ a bit I do wonder if that's almost as good as throwing them in commando?

I've been consistently containing my dry hops as part of my endeavours to minimize haze.

6 Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2017 10:17 AM

Seeing as I only have 24-48 hours potentially, I might just dry hop in the FV with 50g of Citra in the big nylon hop bag, before packaging.
This is quite a bit less time than I normally would dry hop, but have read that less time could be more beneficial?
If it is not enough aroma then I can always resort to plan B and keg hop.

Cheers

James

7 Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2017 1:32 PM

James Lao:

This is quite a bit less time than I normally would dry hop, but have read that less time could be more beneficial?

Studies have shown that most of the benefits of dry-hopping happens in the first few days, and if actually stirred - just one day. Of course stirring is not usually, nor probably desired for other reasons, so I leave mine at least 3 days. There's really nothing to be gained though by dry hopping any longer and in fact after about 6 - 7 days or so things can start to deteriorate. If you've only got 24-48hrs then I guess you simply have to compensate by increasing the quantity of dry hop or… find a way of jiggling your hop sock up and down like a tea bag!

8 Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2017 2:17 PM

James Lao:

Just read something on the Scott Janish website that said commando hops impart 50% more hop flavour or something like that…Probably commando hop the next brew when I have more time to CC.
Does makes sense that there would more hoppiness, as more of the pellets are getting contact with the wort.

You'd only ever achieve a 50% increase in flavour/aroma etc. from commando hopping if you were originally overcrowding contained dry hop additions prior. You need to allow room for the hops to expand & release their oils.

Whether they're floating in a loose tea bag, or in open wort won't make any difference to hop flavour or aroma. What one of those methods will allow you to do however is improve clarity.

From viewing Scott Janish's Blog, this is not something he cares about a whole lot.

Cheers,

Lusty.

9 Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2017 7:44 PM

Think I will increase the amount of hops given the shorter contact time.
Might be a waste of hops, but I think its the best thing to do in this situation.
Those nylon mesh hop bags are good at containing the hop material, unless the pellets are the dregs of the bag and are all powdery.
I do like a hoppy beer, but like them to be reasonably clear as well.
With the keg hopping the first 2-3 glasses are a bit like hop soup, but then do clear after a few days.
Anyway, now that I am at real computer I will try to upload a photo of my last IPA:

Cheers

James

Show Image Attachments
Image Attachments:

10 Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2017 7:52 PM

Didn't work bloody stupid computers!

https://club.coopers.com.au/static/media/attachments/1504950411_71_147.jpg

Cheers

James

Show Image Attachments
Image Attachments:

11 Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2017 10:48 AM

You'll find most of the reason for dry hopping making the beer cloudier isn't physical hop matter floating around in the beer, it's the increased amount of polyphenols from the hops dissolved in the beer combining with proteins to form haze particles.

I make hoppy ales regularly, and also make them clear with the use of Polyclar during the cold crash. It removes polyphenols so the haze can't form, but in my experience doesn't seem to have any negative effects on the flavor or aroma.

12 Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 9:29 PM

What about dry hoping using a stainless steel tea ball infuser? Any opinions or experience? Will a stainless steel ball soaking in the wort cause problems?
Thank you :)

Show Image Attachments
Image Attachments:

13 Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 9:40 PM

Goodnewswelder:

What about dry hoping using a stainless steel tea ball infuser? Any opinions or experience? Will a stainless steel ball soaking in the wort cause problems?
Thank you :)

With the hop tea balls just make sure you sanitize them first. Don't overcrowd the space in the tea ball or bag with too much weight of hops. Allow enough room for them to swell & release their oils freely into the wort.

Cheers,

Lusty.

14 Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 10:16 PM

Thank you Lusty for the advise on “overcrowding” thats good stuff!
My Commando Cascades thank you ;)
Cheers

15 Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 6:39 AM

Didn't Christina talk recently about actually dry hoping during cold crashing as a technique, recall she called it cold hopping?

My second from last brew, Cascarillo was my 1st dry hop & yes they all sunk, with a week of cold crashing.

Another point is do you mean 24hrs once down to CC temp, which takes close to 24hrs for me.

16 Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 8:34 AM

Think it will be dry hop and set the temp to 1deg, then wait for maximum 48 hours before packaging.
Don't think I will be commando-ing this time based on the responses.
Will be dry hopping 1.5 - 2 times the amount I did for my last brew, to compensate for the shorter contact time and lower temperature.
I normally dry hop on day 5 and then keg/bottle on day 12-16 depending on how quick the ferment was / how much beer I have in stock.

Cheers

James

17 Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 8:34 AM

Think it will be dry hop and set the temp to 1deg, then wait for maximum 48 hours before packaging.
Don't think I will be commando-ing this time based on the responses.
Will be dry hopping 1.5 - 2 times the amount I did for my last brew, to compensate for the shorter contact time and lower temperature.
I normally dry hop on day 5 and then keg/bottle on day 12-16 depending on how quick the ferment was / how much beer I have in stock.

Cheers

James

Last edited by James Lao (Tuesday, September 12, 2017 8:34 AM)