1 Posted: Monday, August 21, 2017 7:51 AM

Made my first starter with a DIY stir plate, the plate kinda gave up near the end, but I got my starter, and I'm patiently waiting for the new yeast forge.

For various reasons, I haven't been able to brew at the volume I would like, and time has run out.

I want a few nice beers ready for mid October when my Father comes up, we haven't seen each other in nearly 3 years, too long between drinks, I'm sure you all understand.

So, I've just pitched my starter into a batch, APA tin, 1kg DME, 250g wheat malt, very simple.

I'm planning on taking 1L at high krausen and pitching that into another batch, currently contemplating if I dare do this to end up with 5,6, maybe 7 batches, something tells me this isn't a great idea, probably taking a risk, but I've always been a risk taker.

I think I have to try this experiment at least once.

Wish me luck.
Cheers

JP

2 Posted: Monday, August 21, 2017 8:04 AM

Best of luck fella!

Sounds ambitious and if it works it will be an awesome brew

3 Posted: Monday, August 21, 2017 8:34 AM

The method does work, and I have done it a few times before, however each time I did it, the initial batch was underpitched.

I also didn't go further than a third batch.

I feel more confident having pitched a good sized starter this time.

I mean everything looked good with the starter, so it should have no problems, so the only concerns I have are infections, and maybe some mutations and weird flavours in the later batches.

As usual I'm overthinking.

4 Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 10:05 PM

A risk taker but won't try the lid backed off slightly on the FV method

Sounds like it went alright though which is good. Shame about the stir plate giving up!

5 Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 7:43 AM

Hahaha!
Touché.

Acetobacter, I will not risk.

Made an interesting discovery this morning, dead fruit flys, or drain flys, whatever these godless creatures are, near the edges of cling film on my FV's.

I suspect the C02 is too much for them.

6 Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 10:15 PM

Hi Brewers, Just a quick question regarding making a starter, Ive been making 2.5lt starters from scratch for a few months on a stir plate using WPL001 which was like a volcano , but now swapped to WPL051 yeast , but this yeast only 2cm of krausen and stopped fermenting in 24 hrs ? Question is this yeast ok ? There is about 1cm of settled yeast on bottom of 3lt flask, it seems to be finished already ? Quincy

7 Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 7:06 AM

If the temp was okay, it should be. Only one way to find out: do a gravity reading.

Cheers,

Christina.

8 Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 9:47 AM

Ok thanks Christina , It was pitched around 25 then it would have cooled down for the night time, in the morning was 18

9 Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 10:36 AM

Just a quick question for those who harvest and reuse from starters. I currently have 2 mason jars in the fridge, one with US -05 and one with S-04. Heres the dilemma, i am currently waiting on 3 more liquid yeasts to arrive, WLP001 California ale, WLP300 Hefeweizen, and WLP566 Belgian ale II. Now i intend to harvest and save from these also, but SWMBO has told me, “you cant have all your beer stuff taking up room in the fridge!” What else could i store my harvested yeast in that is smaller than a 500ml mason jar?

10 Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 11:06 PM

A 450ml mason jar. Hahahaha. Tell the wife its your brewing fridge and she cant store all her food its taking up room for important things like yeast and hops. But in all seriousness can u put into an empty stubby and cap it…. looks like you just have beer there then.. otherwise looks like its time for a 2nd fridge

11 Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 12:42 PM

Haha. I dont think that will go down too well Blotchy! I think i may have stubbled on a solution anyway. The process i use at the moment goes like this,

Make starter and over build by about 100B cells
Wait until fully fermented out (usually 3 to 4 days on stir plate)
Transfer approx 500ml to mason jar and the rest into another large jar
Place both jars in fridge where the small one will stay until next time, and use the large one to ferment the batch with, decanted of course.

Now what i think i might do is

Make starter and ferment out
Transfer into one large jar/container and cold crash in fridge
Decant beer from top
Swirl up yeast and save some in a 50ml test tube and use the rest on batch

12 Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 12:51 PM

That method sounds the easiest for keeping a similar amount of yeast in a smaller container. I've not had the need so far so the jars are fine to stay in the fridge; I only have 3 strains at a time though so not too much room taken up.

The stir plate only needs to be on for the first 24 hours or so, not the whole 3 or 4 days that the starter is fermenting.

13 Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 2:18 PM

Ahh ok. So should i turn the stir plate off after 24hrs and leave it in the flask until its done, or after the 24hrs go ahead and transfer out of the flask to containers/jars?

14 Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 3:32 PM

What I do is turn the stirrer off after the first 24 hours, leave it sit there for another couple of days undisturbed, then turn the stirrer back on again for a few hours to stir it up for harvesting, then into the fridge. I just leave the remainder of the starter in the flask rather than put it in another jar but I do have fridge space for it to fit as well, either in the brew fridge or the keg fridge if there's only 1 or 2 kegs in there.

15 Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:15 PM

Just an update on my WLP051 yeast, it took 24 hours to show some krausen, twice as long as 001 , anyway it going that's the main thing

16 Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 12:48 AM

Rowbrew:

Just a quick question for those who harvest and reuse from starters. I currently have 2 mason jars in the fridge, one with US -05 and one with S-04. Heres the dilemma, i am currently waiting on 3 more liquid yeasts to arrive, WLP001 California ale, WLP300 Hefeweizen, and WLP566 Belgian ale II. Now i intend to harvest and save from these also, but SWMBO has told me, “you cant have all your beer stuff taking up room in the fridge!” What else could i store my harvested yeast in that is smaller than a 500ml mason jar?

Hi Rowbrew, not sure if you are intending to keep US-05 going once the 001 arrives, but I would drop it. They are supposedly the same yeast, but 001 has never been through the dehydration process, so it is more suitable for reusing. That will free up a little space in your fridge.

Cheers,

Christina.

17 Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:17 AM

I always thought they were the same strain, but was never entirely sure. Thanks Christina, i think i will retire it then.

18 Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 10:06 PM

Just an update on my new harvesting method. Im not sure that i have collected enough actual yeast to build up for the next batch. After cold crashing the entire starter, i decanted most of the beer off, swirled it all up good and proper, saved 50ml of liquid in a test tube, and the rest went into my latest batch. Now its been about 24hrs and according to my test tube, i only have about 7ml of actal yeast. Now if there is approx 4.5B cells per ml, i only have approx 31.5B cells. Do you think that is enough cells to build up and harvest from again? I was hoping to have at least 25 or 30ml actual yeast from this method. I might just have to go back to mason jars!

19 Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 12:09 PM

It's enough to build up but you'll have to start it in a smaller starter first, then step up to a bigger one.

20 Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:37 PM

Oh ok then. Sort of like a starter for the starter! Well im glad at least its enough to build up again. Thanks Kelsey!