1 Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 2:33 PM

Copy and pasting king ruddagers kits n bits pale ale.

Done 2 batches now and both OG seem low - well, compared to what I have researched. First batch was 1.036 2nd is 1.038 from what I've seen on forums and YouTube ideal OG for the “standard” brew should be close to 1.045

Recipe is
1.7kg tin Coopers Pale Ale
1kg light dry malt
250g crystal malt steeped 30 min boiled the hops addition first batch was 150g
caramalt 2nd batch 250g gladfields light crystal
50g hops - first batch all Amarillo 2nd all galaxy steeped 30min
23L

I have the ianH spreadsheet but dont know how to use it

Or I could be concerned about nothing and its quite normal

Any suggestions?

2 Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 2:48 PM

When I used to brew K n K my OG's were 1.038 - 1.040 (around 4% ABV bottled). So you're numbers are about right I reckon. To get the OG up to 1.045 or so you'd need to using 1.5kg of DME. Or, as I used to often do was simply include 300-400g of sugar.

3 Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 5:47 PM

Pretty easy. Fill in the spots on the left hand side under the headings kit, LME, DME and grains and read the results on the right. The OG gives you a range and also your number.

Show Image Attachments
Image Attachments:

4 Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 6:10 PM

Scottie:

Pretty easy. Fill in the spots on the left hand side under the headings kit, LME, DME and grains and read the results on the right. The OG gives you a range and also your number.

Interestingly Beersmith gives an OG=1.038. I was aware of this difference when I brewed K&K. BS's estimated OG always seemed to match my measured OG's leaving me to believe the spreadsheet estimates were a little high. But I know some claim the SS is spot on for them… so?

5 Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 6:20 PM

Might it have something to do with the attenuation rate attributed to the kit yeast? Ian says it attenuates 75%, Brewer's Friend says 72%. I don't have access to Beersmith; what does it say?

I have changed my copy of Ian's SS to 72% for the kit yeast.

Cheers,

Christina.

6 Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 6:27 PM

Oops and I forgot to mention that I'm using us-05 yeast not the kit stuff

7 Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 6:29 PM

Scottie:

Cheers. ????

8 Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 9:49 PM

ChristinaS1:

Might it have something to do with the attenuation rate attributed to the kit yeast?

The yeast doesn't have any impact on the OG… It will however impact on the FG. I'm sure you know that!

That aside, Beersmith doesn't have any data for the Coopers kit yeast (ale) so I created my own entry based on info that I dug up from somewhere on the net… attenuation 72-77%.

9 Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 10:57 AM

ChristinaS1:

Ian says it attenuates 75%, Brewer's Friend says 72%. I don't have access to Beersmith; what does it say?

I have changed my copy of Ian's SS to 72% for the kit yeast.

Where attenuation numbers have been released by the yeast manufacturers, figures corresponding to these have been added into the spreadsheet for the said yeasts. Where no numbers are known usually from kits where the yeast itself isn't known, a generic value of 75% was entered as it is a fairly standard attenuation rate for a fair whack of yeast strains.

For these generic valued strains recording your own gravity readings pre & post fermentation will soon uncover the true attenuation rate for any yeasts you have queries about.

Cheers,

Lusty.

10 Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 11:30 AM

Hey Solitude
All the yeast tangent aside, have you learnt how to use the spreadsheet yet. I, and others I guess, found this tool to be of great assistance when brewing with extract.

I would like to aid you in your quest so please post any queries you have on here.

Cheers & Beers
Scottie
Valley Brew

11 Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 12:36 PM

Scottie:

Hey Solitude
All the yeast tangent aside, have you learnt how to use the spreadsheet yet. I, and others I guess, found this tool to be of great assistance when brewing with extract.

I would like to aid you in your quest so please post any queries you have on here.

Cheers & Beers
Scottie
Valley Brew

Not yet.

Been busy with kids sport and doing a brew but will try and have a play tonight

Cheers

12 Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 10:09 PM

so ive had a little play and do have a question

when dealing with grain and hops if not technically doing a boil but a steep and “hop tea” how does this get added to the spreadsheet

the attached pic is where im at now with the spreadsheet

Show Image Attachments
Image Attachments:

13 Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 10:34 PM

ok so next question - well more like running my thought process past you experienced folks

the DME (circled at bottom of pic) says 1kg less any added above

i assume the “above” is the top circle in this example i assume i would add 413g DME pre boil to bring up SG but take that out of the 1kg dissolved in fermenter before adding the rest of the ingredients??

Show Image Attachments
Image Attachments:

14 Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 5:09 PM

scottie you there? got a question (well a couple if you count the last coupla posts)

can i use this spreadsheet to design a beer or should i find a recipe and punch it in? i dont have the background knowledge of beermaking just yet but SWMBO has had a lightbulb moment and reckons that all of a sudden she thinks she'd like to be a beer drinker. she doesnt want anything too bitter and wants a mid strength beer. ive had a glance at the recipe collection that PB2 has on the coopers club section, but none of the ones that looked suitable had no hop additions and while i could always steep come crystal and make a hop tea, id like a more structured recipe to start with

so basically if i wanted to design a beer is there a way i could kinda work out on here how to do it without ruining mouthfeel or anything else?

here is probably where id start, id bulk prime so forget the carb drops

Aztec Gold (23 Litres)
Coopers Mexican Cerveza is an excellent choice for those wanting to make a mid-strength beer. Combine with Coopers Light Dry Malt to produce a mouth filling beer with a smooth palate and an alcohol content of approximately 3.8% ABV. The subtle hop aromatics and bitterness will appeal to those who prefer to “Drink a Mid”.

Ingredients
1 x 1.7kg Coopers Mexican Cerveza
1 x 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt
1 x 250g Coopers Carbonation Drops

15 Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 5:52 PM

Hey solitude if you want a recipe that has been considered a no fail and gets great reviews. I have not tried it yet but will in about a month. https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/everyone-should-make-this.35657/

If you were to do the Caribbean siesta I would do a little 5 l boil and add some aroma hops at either 5 min or flameout and let steep for 30 min off the heat…so cooling. It will make it smell and taste better. Dry hop also.

16 Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 12:11 PM

Hi solidute.

solidute:

the DME (circled at bottom of pic) says 1kg less any added above

i assume the “above” is the top circle in this example i assume i would add 413g DME pre boil to bring up SG but take that out of the 1kg dissolved in fermenter before adding the rest of the ingredients??

Yes.

Your recipe obviously used a total of 1kg of dried malt extract. IanH's spreadsheet suggests you use 413gms of that added at the beginning of your boil to attain a starting gravity of 1.040, then simply add the remaining 587gms just before the end of the boil or directly into your fermenter to dissolve it (which ever is easier for you).

Reading your following post, perhaps try a few of the different kits in kit'n'kilo scenarios for a while to get a feel for things, & then move into the recipe section for some more advanced brew recipes.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

17 Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 1:36 PM

Hey Sol

I must apologise for missing your posts, especially after encouraging you to seek my assistance. I will have to blame the change in thread name.

The Cervesa kit is a good one for show casing hop characteristics. As far as I know the spread sheet only accounts for hop boils, not steeping. No problem there just do a small short boil of 25g of Cascade in 5 litres. This should give you some flavour and aroma but not a great deal of bitternes

Cheers

Show Image Attachments
Image Attachments:

18 Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 1:43 PM

Thanks. Yeah sorry about the name change figured after i put the 2 pics up that the post could use a name change to better reflect the direction the post went

19 Posted: Thursday, January 04, 2018 1:25 PM

Scottie:

So using the spreadsheet ….

If you change the values on the left hand side you get some information on OG / FG, IBU etc, mostly on the right hand side. My question is that there seems to be multiple values for these units, which ones to we take notice of? For example on the bottom left corner of the Beer Style table there are different values from those on the right.

And does it matter what ‘Beer Style’ is listed at the top middle if you just want some basic information? I put in ‘Coopers Lager’ in 11 litres plus .5k of LDM and reduced the grain values to 0 and on the right hand side the OG and FG values listed are pretty much what I got.

What to do the mid, low, high values mean on the top right? Also the colour coded Good/High etc on the same table

I tried reading the notes but they were WAY too complicated for my stage of development!!!!

20 Posted: Thursday, January 04, 2018 11:11 PM

Where can I get said spreadsheet?